Phuket airport taxi fare probe goes nowhere

webfact

48 minutes ago, smedly said:

I can get a taxi from pattaya to BKK airport for Bt1000, a distance of about 100km

Wow. Only 1000 Baht? I usually pay 350+ going from Asoke to Don Mueang Airport. 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I can get a taxi from pattaya to BKK airport for Bt1000, a distance of about 100km

How far is it from Phuket airport to Patong - seems to be around 25km

maybe if they used the meter then no problem

More like 50 km and no fare allowed on way back.

18 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

More like 50 km and no fare allowed on way back.

Airport to Patong is not 50km - looking at google maps it is no further than 30km and that is tracking the road all the way there - it is more like 25km so 5km thrown in for error 

1 hour ago, lolalol said:

don't get me wrong - I could easily pay 2500baht if I was sucker enough to pay it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, smedly said:

don't get me wrong - I could easily pay 2500baht if I was sucker enough to pay it

Please PM me with the contact details of the 1,000 Baht taxi to Swampy - as I am always charged 1,200 Baht 

And to add to that: Airport Taxis are not the worst problem in Phuket.

Taxi from Patong to Kathu which is 5km will cost you 400B!!! If you argue maybe 300B, never less.

Patong to Phuket town is 500.... Thats 13km.

This is absolutely insane. Using those rates, a taxi to the airport should cost about 3-4000...

Not to mention a 100m tuk-tuk ride in patong at 200B. (similar will cost 10B in Pattaya)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

Not far off. To be exact, under normal conditions you would never go the shorter coastal route. You would follow the main road(402). Thats 38km to the north end of Patong. So if you are going to a hotel near the beach i think its fair to say its closer to 45km. (One way systems in patong)

All that said, the 800B is very expensive. This one way taxi system in Phuket where they are not allowed to return with passengers cant be fixed IMO. It needs to be completely replaced by meter taxis only.

I don't think the "regular" fares to and from the airport are expensive, particlularly when you consider the one way system, which also applies when going from, for example, Karon to Patong; 7km for 400 baht, which is well overpriced.

As you rightly point out, this is what needs to be sorted, though whether tha would change the fares is possibly doubtful.

Now is the time to get this sorted, before the masses of taxis return to the roads in anticipation of the return of tourists.

A Phuket taxi thread; the first for ages. One tiny step closer to normality

3 hours ago, lolalol said:

Its about 80 km from Pattaya to the airport. B 1000 is pretty normal. Most taxis use LPG which is a lot cheaper than petrol. Going to the airport is no problem, its the getting a taxi at the airport to your destination where the problems start. Touts, Taxi companies etc etc rule the roost. Expats know how to avoid this, tourists don't.

3 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I don't think the "regular" fares to and from the airport are expensive, particlularly when you consider the one way system, which also applies when going from, for example, Karon to Patong; 7km for 400 baht, which is well overpriced.

I think its overpriced. If you could take a BKK taxi and put it in Phuket Airport with BKK rates, the trip would cost you about half. I don't see any reason in that.

But as mentioned, Airport taxis is not the main problem in Phuket. Its the local stuff that's just plain robbery.

A friend  of mine lived in Kathu for many years. He wold go out in Patong sometimes, and the 5km taxi back home was 400B.

He now lives in Jomtien. He showed me this Bolt app: Jomtien to Pattaya beach which is about the same distance was around 60B...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, smedly said:

How far is it from Phuket airport to Patong - seems to be around 25km

maybe if they used the meter then no problem

They need to pay so-called tea money...dont like taxi use car rental or shuttle bus...why all the fuss. ...try taking a taxi from tokyo airport to town..

Edited by chuang

2 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

A million baht concession  to  ply your taxi around Phuket airport..  Me thinks   your mad ex was telling just a little porky pie, hoping you would  help  pay the  bill.    Ive noticed Thais always exaggerate  the cost of anything they either buy or sell.

No, the 1 million Baht story is true. I'm on good terms with a few drivers and know the hospitality industry in Phuket. The fees to run an airport limo are prohibitive. So most of the fare actually goes to some higher ups, not the drivers or the limo owners. 

• Thanks 1

The article says...

"The representatives explained that the fare from the airport to Patong, a distance of “about” 38.9 kilometres, used to be B800, but right now they were charging only B640, the report added."

If the Koh Phuket taxis run their meters after island-rates - like on Koh Samui - it would be 36.9 kilometers of 20 baht each = 738 baht, plus 100 baht meter fall including the first two kilometers, i.e. total 838 baht, so viewed in that light then 800 baht doesn't look too high, and 640 baht is a bargain.

But of course, if compared to Bangkok rates, 800 baht is (very) expensive.

And if compared to Koh Samui's no-meter fixed-price taxi fares, 800 baht is half price only...????(Rolling On The Floor Laughing-emoji)

• Like 1

As far as I can ascertain, for 2021 the numbers are :-

10.7 million is the Thai population of Bangkok

438,000      is the Thai population of Phuket

<60,000      is the Thai population of Koh Samui

Of course taxi fares are more expensive on the islands.

The potential customer bases are much smaller.

It is not not realistic to compare Bangkok with the smaller cities.

Taxi fares in Bangkok would not be as cheap if there were less than half a million people there.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Khun Yogi said:

Its about 80 km from Pattaya to the airport. B 1000 is pretty normal. Most taxis use LPG which is a lot cheaper than petrol. Going to the airport is no problem, its the getting a taxi at the airport to your destination where the problems start. Touts, Taxi companies etc etc rule the roost. Expats know how to avoid this, tourists don't.

bell bus 200 baht door to door drive same speed arrive approx time .used them for many years sorted .. 

• Like 2