Thailand reports daily record of coronavirus infections and deaths

webfact

51 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Don't forget the 7 provinces recently added to the dark red list.....

Chon Buri, Chachoengsao, Rayong, Ratchaburi, Udon Thani, Surin, Ubon Ratchathan

I would include those Eastern Seaboard provinces as "surrounding" Bangkok. The other provincial clusters are probably due to travel to/from Bangkok and would be diminished by a Bangkok lockdown.

Thailand bans public gatherings as coronavirus cases and deaths hit daily records

2021-07-17T010926Z_1_LYNXMPEH6G00F_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A man undergoes a free coronavirus disease (COVID-19) test at a rapid antigen mass testing station as the spread of COVID-19 continues, in Bangkok, Thailand, July 15, 2021. REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand imposed a nation-wide ban on public gatherings and is considering more restrictions on movement as authorities reported record numbers of new cases and deaths on Saturday, despite partial lockdowns in Bangkok and nine other provinces this week.

The country's COVID-19 task force reported 10,082 new coronavirus cases and 141 new deaths, bringing the total number of infections to 391,989 cases and 3,240 fatalities since the pandemic started.

A ban on public gatherings has been imposed, with a maximum penalty of a two-year jail term or a fine of up to 40,000 baht ($1,219.88) or both, an announcement on the official Royal Gazette published late on Friday showed.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said that the government is considering more restrictions as the country battles its worst coronavirus outbreak yet, fueled by the highly transmissible Alpha and Delta COVID-19 variants since early April.

"There is a need to expand measures to limit people's movement as much as possible and closing more facilities leaving only the essentials," Prayuth said on his official Facebook page on Friday.

Areas considered high risk in Thailand have been under the toughest restrictions in more than a year since Monday, with curbs on movement and gatherings, the closure of malls and some businesses, and curfews between 9 pm to 4 am.

($1 = 32.7900 baht)

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um; Editing by Kim Coghill)

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-17

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

You do know that the 'hospital system' now includes, for example, the 5000 bed 'field hospital' at Suvarnabhumi Airport?

Net infections are rising. The 'net' number is substantially higher than what the plain old 'new infection number' was just a short time ago.

Ergo, it's getting worse. That it isn't 100% fatal is small comfort when the universe of those on death watch grows by the day.

AFAIK, the 5,000 bed facility at Suvarnaphumi will not be open until August.

I can’t count facilities that aren’t open yet.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

The situation is dire and rapidly degrading.

New highs with after the horse has bolted stricter measures being discussed. The awful death stats are now starting to filter through shooting into the 3 figure range. Previous measures have been a complete failure. The nonsense sprouted previously by officials of having this under control is hitting them squarely in the face but more importantly its everyone here in Thailand that is now further in danger from their mistakes.

10,082 positive cases today with 127 of those from prisons, 141 deaths

Rolling 7 day average (up to 15th July only) which includes prison cases and bar chart of community cases.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

data 17 july.png

data 17 july 2.png

If anyone can clarify , what are the daily test numbers?? from reading that Thai Newspaper in English this morning, it seemed like they are struggling to test more than ten thousand a day, they don't have enough tests, people are dyeing at home , being sent away from hospitals which are nearly full, not tested then dyeing at home.

A warning issued that this could develop into another India with oxygen shortages and the true death toll ( which the Indians admitted on India today News, was likely double the recorded number) as the deaths' outside were not recorded on the official list.

Australia tested 87,000 in NSW a few days ago and LOS cant test more than supposedly 10,000.

So what's the true figure?, and when will this diabolical mess caused by greedy middle men wanting a cut from the vaccine get resolved.

My wife is scarred as her mother (78) phoned her yesterday and said Covid was in our street in Hua Hin, Smorprong now and police might lock down the area.

There are lots of gated communities there, Thippawan has many with many falungs living there.

This no doubt will be creating a big worry for expats in Smorprong now.

The French embassy now vaccinating their own, other embassies will have to follow or else if hundreds of expats start dyeing then expect a visit from Anna Kee.

Meanwhile my wifes poor mother ,78 does not have a clue where to get vaccinated and is still working at the markets, im holding my breath now for her safety, and all my mates that live only a few blocks away from my street, I bet they wont be drinking in the shop bars now, it will be on the front porch with a seven 11 beer for now.

Very grim situation looks only to be getting worse and they want to open Hua Hin on Oct 1st, with the place now breaking loose more and more each day, very , very worried we are now for the safety of our Thai family and expat friends.

Would love to hear more if you are living around Smorprong, maybe a new topic.

best wishes all and take care.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

A ban on public gatherings has been imposed, with a maximum penalty of a two-year jail term or a fine of up to 40,000 baht ($1,219.88) or both, an announcement on the official Royal Gazette published late on Friday showed.

A line from the movie Brave Heart comes to mind "Hold, Hold, Hold, Hold," lockdown now!

Edited by FarFlungFalang

45 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Central region -12%. Would this have anything to do with not testing in workers camps/C19 prisons.

Very likely and most likely also due to limiting testing at hospitals that are already at breaking point. It’s also possible and probably highly likely that the labs have reached their capacity to turn around the test within a reasonable timeframe. If that is the case then any increase in numbers will reflect an increase in positivity rate. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Because hospitals can still squeeze more people into the system.

When every available bed anywhere is occupied, hospitals will only be able to test up to the number of discharges + deaths.  So, yes, it is possible that the number of recorded cases would decrease when hospitals are filled.

But I don’t think that is going to happen, I think there will always be somewhere where they can stash patients. 

the unknown here is the self-isolation concept, because it’s probably the case where people will not actually get tested, they will simply be told to go home for 14 days. This may take a load off the hospitals for a while.

Yes but that amount is getting less by the day so you still have not explained why with beds getting less and less by the day so test should be less too.

I don't think they can always stash patients somewhere look at India, and Italy and other countries. There is a breaking point.

But your right home isolation is the unknown. 

Home isolation only takes the load of the not serious cases. Serious cases will become more and more.  Anyway yes home isolation is an unknown factor. Though the breaking point will be the serious cases (but that wont impact testing i think). 

31 minutes ago, ABCbangkok said:

Expats and those that can should leave. This situation is only going to bleed into next year.  

By then, the stench of death will run through the country to such a degrees that you won’t be able to give away trips to Thailand. The recovery for Thailand may take years. 

We should all be outraged by the needless death that have occurred and are about to occur due to the morons in power.

(As an aside has anyone been keeping track of the number of expats infected and dying? With 3m expats out of the country’s population of 70m, there is now, or likely to be, some.)

There aren't 3 million expats in Thailand.  Wikipedia, for example, gives a figure of 200,000.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand bans public gatherings as coronavirus cases and deaths hit daily records

2021-07-17T010926Z_1_LYNXMPEH6G00F_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A man undergoes a free coronavirus disease (COVID-19) test at a rapid antigen mass testing station as the spread of COVID-19 continues, in Bangkok, Thailand, July 15, 2021. REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand imposed a nation-wide ban on public gatherings and is considering more restrictions on movement as authorities reported record numbers of new cases and deaths on Saturday, despite partial lockdowns in Bangkok and nine other provinces this week.

The country's COVID-19 task force reported 10,082 new coronavirus cases and 141 new deaths, bringing the total number of infections to 391,989 cases and 3,240 fatalities since the pandemic started.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said that the government is considering more restrictions as the country battles its worst coronavirus outbreak yet, fueled by the highly transmissible Alpha and Delta COVID-19 variants since early April.

"There is a need to expand measures to limit people's movement as much as possible and closing more facilities leaving only the essentials," Prayuth said on his official Facebook page on Friday.

Areas considered high risk in Thailand have been under the toughest restrictions in more than a year since Monday, with curbs on movement and gatherings, the closure of malls and some businesses, and curfews between 9 pm to 4 am.

($1 = 32.7900 baht)

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um; Editing by Kim Coghill)

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-17

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Wonder if this means parks will be closed again, sigh....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

AFAIK, the 5,000 bed facility at Suvarnaphumi will not be open until August.

I can’t count facilities that aren’t open yet.

Of which 90% will likely be dedicated to asymptomatic patients that could be self-isolating at home.  The stupidity of this government has my neck hurting with all the. head shaking

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes but that amount is getting less by the day so you still have not explained why with beds getting less and less by the day so test should be less too.

I don't think they can always stash patients somewhere look at India, and Italy and other countries. There is a breaking point.

If the hospital system can discharge 6500+ patients in a day, and admit an equivalent number of new patients + squeeze in 1,000 more, why should they limit testing to less than 7,500? I don’t understand your logic.

There won’t be severe constraints on hospital testing (beyond those already in place) until there is absolutely no more room for new patients.

10 minutes ago, anchadian said:

People are waiting for queue numbers for COVID-19 antigen tests at the Thanyarak Institute in Pathum Thani. The site, run by the National Health Security Office, and can perform 5,000 tests a day

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSWorld/status/1416223730041196547

Asked previously. Never really understood why do so many folk queue for Test. I assume it's free. 

Is it required for employment or.....??

Surely they are not all feeling off colour.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Historical.... prisons were overlooked for some time early on in this wave, then, when tested, it caused rather a frightening jump in total numbers. To make this less a source of panic, the numbers were listed separately and it just carried on that way. 

Thanks. I do remember that sudden jump and prison inclusion. It seems as if, by presenting them as separate, you needn't worry about them as much. As if it doesn't matter because they are in prison. Hmm, perhaps because it's a closed group of people so not a source of infection for non-prisoners.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Asked previously. Never really understood why do so many folk queue for Test. I assume it's free. 

Is it required for employment or.....??

Surely they are not all feeling off colour.

Tracked, traced, close contact of a case, told to like we were. Who knows why?

5 minutes ago, ABCbangkok said:

You’re looking at the wrong Wikipedia. 

“Foreign residents in Thailand, according to the 2010 Census. It was found that there were 2,581,141 of foreign origins, composing around 3.87 percent of Thailand's population.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

"Thailand is also home to more than 200,000 foreigners—retirees, extended tourists, and workers from, for example, Europe, North America, and elsewhere.[21]"

Edited by Macrohistory
font size