One dose of AstraZeneca “highly effective” against different variants, study shows

webfact

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where do you think you can get the Moderna?  I was looking at either Moderna or Pfizer as my second jab but can not find anywhere to do the second dose as having had the first of AZ in June, I can not register at MedPark hospital again for Pfizer as I am scheduled for my second AZ jab there in September.  I wonder if there will be a way by then to ask them to change the AZ to Pfizer, but then I am not sure they will as many of the Pfizer jabs are going as boosters to medical staff.

On the face of it you can still register for Bumrungrad to deliver Pfizer for free by opening thailandintervac.com*. But it's only an expression of preference with Astra Zeneca and 'any available vaccine' being other preferences and therefore potential allocations if they run short

* Remember this website? The one that previously had only Bangkok hospitals, much to the ire of we provincials. I spotted a few days ago on the NBT (government) Press Agency website's daily Press Briefing that anyone who had failed to register on the expatvac.com website around last weekend could try intervac.com. I registered with Bumrungrad for Pfizer on Tuesday and then thought better of having to do 14 days isolation on return to Sisaket, so also registered with Khon Kaen Bangkok Hospital for AZ. KK looks more likely to come up with the goods - they allowed a specific slot on a fixed date (21 August) to be selected. Bumrungrad promised an e-mail within 3 days WHICH HAS NOT ARRIVED. A local friend applied earlier than me and also registered elsewhere, having found an even longer lack of e-mail confirmation at Bum; shame - it is normally such a truly outstandingly professional hospital (at a price of course; it must be hard for them to be doing inoculations for free????).

I cannot promise yo'all 'll be able to register but the site still looks to be operational with most of the same hospitals that were clickable when I registered 2x still apparently clickable. Pattaya residents who have been complaining about no hospitals near them should note that Sri Ratcha Samitivej is apparently still a clickable option (for Astra Zeneca).

I point y'all in a potentially helpful direction, but who knows how it will go.

image.png

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaLa said:

Good news ? or should we also wait and see what is acceptable criteria for ‘health passports’ in order to travel in the future?

I can foresee a situation where:

The type of vaccine does not meet our approval

The time interval between your vaccines does not meet our approval

The country of manufacture of the vaccine does not meet our approval

Your vaccination document does not meet our approval (written in Thai)

The mix of vaccines does not meet our approval

This is already apparent in the many restrictions outlined on various gov.dot websites.

Possibly, or another way of putting it is the world is a complete cluster*uck and has changed forever. Depressing times.

Looks like I might be one of these 'expats' that never does anything or never goes anywhere, the waiting to die type, of which there are many. Seriously depressing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

I agree, had to take a Sino for a first jab, looking forward to the Astra follow up shot.

I guess at your first jab, AZ was not available. Its quite possible with the Thai  Sino/AZ cocktail your vaccination status if arriving in other countries may not be accepted. 

29 minutes ago, Screaming said:

I will give AstraZeneca a pass as well as the rest of them. I am not interested in having my body injected with experimental vaccine.

In practical terms, that simply means that you prefer to have your body deal with a novel coronavirus it isn't familiar with, if and when you get infected.

Considering how virulent recent strains are, it's almost inevitable that you subject your body to one (by choice) or the other (by accident) in due course.

I think the "experimental vaccine" is at the very least safer than facing the real thing unprepared, but as they say, up to you!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Screaming said:

I will give AstraZeneca a pass as well as the rest of them. I am not interested in having my body injected with experimental vaccine.

Another one who believes the fake news stories about it all being false and Covid not being real.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

the company said Thursday,

Not saying its wrong, Just that if I ask a Car company who makes the best car....or TV company, who makes the best TV......etc

I would rather read reports from independent sources

5 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Not saying its wrong, Just that if I ask a Car company who makes the best car....or TV company, who makes the best TV......etc

I would rather read reports from independent sources

Plenty of independent studies. I posted one at the beginning of the OP.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Plenty of independent studies. I posted one at the beginning of the OP

I am not saying that the findings are incorrect Ryan, (thats the shot I have taken) only that every company --has the best Vaccine. ......according to the company.

Its just that when there are millions $$$$$  at stake, I would prefer T.V.  to source independent sources rather than press releases.

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

Just now, sanuk711 said:

I am saying that the findings are incorrect Ryan, (thats the shot I have taken) only that every company --has the best Vaccine. ......according to the company.

Its just that when there are millions $$$$$  at stake, I would prefer T.V.  to source independent sources rather than press releases.

Got it your talking about the main OP ???? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Thailand said:

I have found that chewing raw garlic seems to keep infection at bay, at least people seem to give me a wide berth so not close enough to spread virus.

But maybe should look at alternatives like AZ ,Pf etc. Don't see much of friends any more for some reason.

Seriously , My wife has garlic in a plastic bag and inhales it, saying it helps prevent Covid. The first time I saw her doing this, I thought she was sniffing glue.

• Haha 2

I am quite happy that I have the AZ  jab but if it had been Sinovac as first jab I would not have objected.

I would report that my reaction to it was as predicted in most side effects for a couple of days which I consider a good sign. Others that I know have felt no or barely noticeable reaction which I hope for them does not indicate a minimal immune response.

What I do find interesting is that of the other 250+ vaccines said to be under development many months ago that afaik none have surfaced ? Surely not all are duds?

29 minutes ago, Caldera said:

In practical terms, that simply means that you prefer to have your body deal with a novel coronavirus it isn't familiar with, if and when you get infected.

Considering how virulent recent strains are, it's almost inevitable that you subject your body to one (by choice) or the other (by accident) in due course.

I think the "experimental vaccine" is at the very least safer than facing the real thing unprepared, but as they say, up to you!

Yeah, my next door neighbor thought the same way. 2 months later he died in the hospital of the virus. He was a preacher and said god would protect him. ugggg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

What I do find interesting is that of the other 250+ vaccines said to be under development many months ago that afaik none have surfaced ? Surely not all are duds?

Novavax is on the way, though I suspect not in Thailand.

29 minutes ago, iian23 said:

More like the the US don't use AZ because big pharma in the US can't make a profit from it. We sell the AZ vaccine at cost whilst Pfizer etc  are making billions from the worlds misery.

Maybe, but you can walk into your local pharmacy without an appointment and get a free jab in the US. Hell, I can walk into my local grocery store that has a pharmacy and get the vaccine.   Pfizer

Since Asia is not open, I came to Colombia for a few months and even here the locals have access to it. FREE.   Pfizer

I have a friend in Mexico which I like to travel to some time and they got their free jab several months ago. Pfizer

Not sure why Asia is having such a hard time getting the vaccine?

I really don't understand the problem, I consider Thailand to be better off financially than Colombia, even Mexico to some degree. But, it seems the vaccine is not available there?

Edited by garyk

9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Good to hear this.

Still countries who will not use it mainly the U.S. giving all 60 million doses away.

Pfizer seems to be little better, that might be why.

Updated link about the various vaccines HERE.

5 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Novavax is on the way, though I suspect not in Thailand.

Made where? It has been nobbled in the US. Funding "paused" . Was being produced in same site as AZ and J&J but  now only making J&J. Contamination issues cited in production . So is J&J somehow not despite being from same plant?

18 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I am not saying that the findings are incorrect Ryan, (thats the shot I have taken) only that every company --has the best Vaccine. ......according to the company.

Here, you go, this is the study that AZ is referring to, 27 pages long though. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.28.21259420v1.full.pdf

2 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

On the face of it you can still register for Bumrungrad to deliver Pfizer for free by opening thailandintervac.com*. But it's only an expression of preference with Astra Zeneca and 'any available vaccine' being other preferences and therefore potential allocations if they run short

* Remember this website? The one that previously had only Bangkok hospitals, much to the ire of we provincials. I spotted a few days ago on the NBT (government) Press Agency website's daily Press Briefing that anyone who had failed to register on the expatvac.com website around last weekend could try intervac.com. I registered with Bumrungrad for Pfizer on Tuesday and then thought better of having to do 14 days isolation on return to Sisaket, so also registered with Khon Kaen Bangkok Hospital for AZ. KK looks more likely to come up with the goods - they allowed a specific slot on a fixed date (21 August) to be selected. Bumrungrad promised an e-mail within 3 days WHICH HAS NOT ARRIVED. A local friend applied earlier than me and also registered elsewhere, having found an even longer lack of e-mail confirmation at Bum; shame - it is normally such a truly outstandingly professional hospital (at a price of course; it must be hard for them to be doing inoculations for free????).

I cannot promise yo'all 'll be able to register but the site still looks to be operational with most of the same hospitals that were clickable when I registered 2x still apparently clickable. Pattaya residents who have been complaining about no hospitals near them should note that Sri Ratcha Samitivej is apparently still a clickable option (for Astra Zeneca).

I point y'all in a potentially helpful direction, but who knows how it will go.

image.png

I am going to Samithivej hospital for my 1st AZ jab next week w/c 9/8/21 the very nice lady I spoke to ( she's in charge of the international department ) informed me that they only use AZ vaccine, so fingers crossed both doses will be AZ ????????????????

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here, you go, this is the study that AZ is referring to, 27 pages long

Thanks BKK Brian I will save it for bedtime reading...........????

I was just thinking how unusual it is that the 3 hi-tec giants of Europe.. Germany/France/Italy haven't come with any solutions- Vaccines or after care medications re the Covid.

Well Germany did have an inventor who claims 97% success rate for his new vaccine , but there going to put him in Jail.

-----------------------------------------

A physician and entrepreneur from the northern city of Lübeck, developed an effective vaccine against the coronavirus in his private laboratory. He had already vaccinated about 100 volunteers with it. The report stated, this had been proven in serological tests. The vaccine could, easily be produced in large quantities and it would soon be possible to vaccinate everyone in Germany.

But instead of receiving the necessary support from German regulatory authorities, they filed formal criminal charges against him. According to the Da Spiegel report.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

No problem Ivor, it's free, I registered via the Thailand intervac site. Good luck ????????

I already have had the Sinovac and the follow up AZ. I was just curious as to you having both vaccines as AZ. I thought by getting both shots as AZ it would cost you.