COVID-19: How Thailand is using a 'cheap and effective' traditional herbal medicine to treat coronavirus

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's government is using green chiretta to treat people with asymptomatic or mild coronavirus infections, following a trial in prisons which found that 99% of those who consumed the plant recovered.

Amazing safe trusted Thailand.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:
2 hours ago, placeholder said:

What don't you understand about the fact that the vast majority of those dying from Covid are unvaccinated ?

Also, the figures you cite are cumulative from the date covid deaths were first accorded their own database.. It doesn't address how mortality in respect to age has changed over time.

"Meanwhile, the share of deaths among young people is jumping, too: Those in their 30s and people 18 to 29 have roughly tripled their share of deaths in July and August, preliminary Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tallies show.

People in their 50s and early 60s have represented fewer than 1 of every 6 victims in the pandemic, but in July and August they make up more than 1 of every 4."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/08/24/covid-vaccines-mandates-masks-biden-fauci/8250548002/

And of course, mortality figures have benefited from the fact that vaccinations are now widespread. There's a reason that the pandemic is now being called a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

Expand  

Here it is broken up in two different date periods.  I posted this a couple months back as well.  Looks pretty similar before and after vaccines for everyone not elderly huh.

From US CDC public data base.  I filtered by age, date, and death (Y/N).

https://data.cdc.gov/d/vbim-akqf/visualization

image.png.a820709af0568f50a879dd63d015319d.png

You still haven't provided much meaningful data.  Unvaccinated die at 3 rate of vaccinated.  But what about absolute or overall death rate?  If 1/100,000 of vaccinated die then that means 3/100,000 unvaccinated die.  Doesn't sound so bad in those terms does it?

My understanding is that unvaccinated includes those with only 1 shot and I think also those w 2 shots not yet beyond 2 weeks of double protection.  Is there any data that the shot itself is responsible for Covid contraction for these two special groups?

In Thailand's fields, convicted criminals tend to a precious crop.

In the blazing sun, in neon orange tops, they bend and scrape, painstakingly weeding the ground around neat lines of dark green plants.

So in addition to serving as slave labor, thai prisoners are also subject to "drug" trials.

Two-fer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

My understanding is that unvaccinated includes those with only 1 shot and I think also those w 2 shots not yet beyond 2 weeks of double protection.  Is there any data that the shot itself is responsible for Covid contraction for these two special groups?

The data set doesn't contain that information, at least not for the public.  It would be great if they provided that so we can get a better idea of those who died within a month of receiving the 1st or 2nd injection.  The up to 1/1/21 range I chose was because the vaccine wasn't available during that time so that I can come up with some sort of "control" group to compare to data where the vaccine was readily available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harveyg said:

Well, those who are vaccinated with 1 inoculation are listed as such. But you're right, obviously eole in that grou will be far more likely to come down with symptoms. As will, on average, those who are vaccinated twice but still in the latency period.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's government is using green chiretta to treat people with asymptomatic or mild coronavirus infections, following a trial in prisons which found that 99% of those who consumed the plant recovered.

Don't 99% of asymptomatic people who DON'T take this recover? I'm not an anti-vaxxer, got two jabs and will get the 3rd when the time comes up. I AM an "anti-false hope" proponent.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

I'm normally very positive for alternative and natural treatments - but it needs to make sense - so a good question here is: How many asymptomatic or mild coronavirus infections have recovered without the traditional Thai herbal medicine?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Don't 99% of asymptomatic people who DON'T take this recover? I'm not an anti-vaxxer, got two jabs and will get the 3rd when the time comes up. I AM an "anti-false hope" proponent.

Pretty sure this was the stuff my Mrs was taking.... she had not tested positive and despite my telling her it was a treatment not a preventative, she carried on until she had her shots.

As with the vaccinations that are given under the skin as opposed to in the Muscle, I await the clinical trial data, and testing Data.

If this Thai Cabbage is so good, why have the Thais not been sending it abroad to ease the burden of finances during the Covid Outbreak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

I'm normally very positive for alternative and natural treatments - but it needs to make sense - so a good question here is: How many asymptomatic or mild coronavirus infections have recovered without the traditional Thai herbal medicine?

The more important question is, how many would have become seriously ill if they hadn't taken the medicine?

Did the percentage of infections that progressed to a serious state increase or decline after they started the trial?

If it declined wouldn't that make some sense.

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Well I have been taking a couple of capsules every morning for the last few months, and I haven't caught Covid 19 yet!

Seriously, I have used it for colds/flu for years; it helps with the symptoms.

As a medicine to suppress/alleviate symptoms (in particular coughs, fever and sore throat) it seems to work. It certainly cannot do any harm. It is not being claimed as a cure, but as a treatment.

The UK and Thailand have similar size of population but the number of infections and deaths are miles apart.

I could well be that something as obscure as this that could account for lower numbers. I have found Tiffy quite effective against colds/flu, again something that would be frowned on in other parts of the world.

42 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The more important question is, how many would have become seriously ill if they hadn't taken the medicine?

Did the percentage of infections that progressed to a serious state increase or decline after they started the trial?

If it declined wouldn't that make some sense.

The traditional herbal medicine were used for asymptomatic and mild cases only - asymptomatic cases are not ill - a study might be useless if it's not made as a so-called "double blind test", which means that you have two groups, one getting the medicine and another getting placebo.

35 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The traditional herbal medicine were used for asymptomatic and mild cases only - asymptomatic cases are not ill - a study might be useless if it's not made as a so-called "double blind test", which means that you have two groups, one getting the medicine and another getting placebo.

I see your point, no chance whatsoever that asymtomatic or mild infection can become serious, guaranteed to recover.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, placeholder said:

Well, those who are vaccinated with 1 inoculation are listed as such. But you're right, obviously eole in that grou will be far more likely to come down with symptoms. As will, on average, those who are vaccinated twice but still in the latency period.

several keys including the "p" are no longer functional on my keyboard. Occasionally I forget to paste them in or heed the autocorrection feature.  Hence "eole" and "grou"

The comment should have read

"Well, those who are vaccinated with 1 inoculation are listed as such. But you're right, obviously people in that group will be far more likely to come down with symptoms. As will, on average, those who are vaccinated twice but still in the latency period."

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

The UK and Thailand have similar size of population but the number of infections and deaths are miles apart.

I could well be that something as obscure as this that could account for lower numbers. I have found Tiffy quite effective against colds/flu, again something that would be frowned on in other parts of the world.

And, the most likely discrepancy between road deaths in the UK and Thailand is that the Thais have better infrastructure, processes and procedures, so they simply capture far more than does the UK. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, DaveSamutP said:

And, the most likely discrepancy between road deaths in the UK and Thailand is that the Thais have better infrastructure, processes and procedures, so they simply capture far more than does the UK. 

Actually, the most likely explanation by far is that a lot higher percentage of Thais ride motorbikes than do residents of the UK.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DaveSamutP said:

100% incorrect. A lot has to do with how they classify deaths. In the end, Thai roads are close to the most dangerous i in the world. And their infrastructure is horrible.

20 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

You know this for sure by being tested daily?

No, it was a light-hearted comment!

Actually, I think I may have had a mild case way back at the start - February 2020. My daughter went to a pop concert, and a couple of days later had a cough, sore throat and temperature. I took her to the local hospital, they gave her some medicines, including green chiretta, and sent her home.  Looked after her, after three days she recovered, and I went down with the same thing. Took me a week to recover.

I haven't been tested, not least because in earlier days a positive test would have meant being banged up! It would be interesting to know though!

• Like 1