What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

On 5/5/2022 at 10:24 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

@LosLobo thanks for the heads up. I won't bother downloading it now, even though I had a look on IMDB and it looked "promising" to me. TBH I don't set much store by IMDB reviews & high ratings, however if IMDB rates the show less than 7, then it usually means the show is pretty dire IMHO.

For an in depth review I use wiki which is excellent

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I too read all the books and the TV series is good and well cast but I got a bit lost with all the story lines and undifferentiated  characters.  The new Bosch is better I think

I couldn't get passed the first episode series one. Who the hell would follow an untrained dog up an hill for it to discover the skeletal remains of a body of the actual person Bosch was looking for? Then, post that, the crime scene was something out of a Keystone Cops movie.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The new Bosch is better I think

It's already been renewed for a second (or 9th?) season.

I'm going to wait, and binge. I did that with season 7 and found it much more satisfying. 10 eps, finishes up May 27.

Some of The Wire show runners are involved in Bosch, like Eric Overmyer, so it's similar in that regard re: season arc/focus.

Your Mum And Dad A Devastating Truth----Doco--ChaosTV--or Iplayer---English/Danish Subs

Really enjoyed watching this---I know its not for everyone. After 17 years of documenting one man's struggle to heal from a generational wound, Klaartje Quirijns turns the camera on herself to reveal her own family's devastating trauma.  guides us through the complex workings of the mind, showing how easily we can be "colonised" by the behavior of our parents.

Starts off with a Larkin Poem,  which I remember well because they had him on the BBC 50 odd years ago to interview him, & he started to recite it, and they couldn't turn the cameras off quickly enough.

They F ** k you up, your mum and dad.   

They may not mean to, but they do.   

They fill you with the faults they had

And add some extra, just for you.

But they were F *** ed up in their turn

By fools in old-style hats and coats,

Etc etc ..............................

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 6:57 PM, LosLobo said:

Depends on how many homophobic racist bigots there are in the current audience.

Whether or not there are what you classify  as homophobic racist   bigots - is it the role of the BBC to role out gay propaganda in a children's  show? Why should the BBC promote  a woke ideological position  using tax payers money? But ideology aside- does wokecasting actually improve the production values? Or does it just virtue signal?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It's already been renewed for a second (or 9th?) season.

I'm going to wait, and binge. I did that with season 7 and found it much more satisfying. 10 eps, finishes up May 27.

Some of The Wire show runners are involved in Bosch, like Eric Overmyer, so it's similar in that regard re: season arc/focus.

I didn't mean the new season of Bosch I meant the new series where he is a PI having left the police

We own this city is the best  thing  now for drama

Peacock for comedy with Alan Mustafa

The Outlaws series two is coming out soon

61st Street is a good cop drama

BUT I'm short of stuff  to watch on the drama  front

Top Boy has finished for the time being..

Better call Saul is great but I can't waiting a week

Edited by The Hammer2021

38 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

With respect, may I suggest that this thread is done.

Oh contraire ... still a good thread with suggestions, when presented.  Got a few good ones to watch.  If closed, please start another.  As the other TV series thread just popped up after a long lull, and now gone again, I think.  If anything, this stays active.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah agreed but the debate about woke stuff is tedious and repetitive. Less of that noise please 

Yea, no need for any more woke alerts, as I think we all expect everything to be 'woke' now, as there is not going back.

Watched 'the Lost City' ... may want to give that a pass, unless running out of things to pass the time.

Think 'Romancing the Stone' ... but not even close.

3 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Eurovision Song Contest has already started 

Eurovision 2022 kicked off today with Ukraine tipped to win. Here's who is competing and how to watch in Australia (msn.com)

All those with access to SBS On Demand can watch it as above tonight or elsewhere below.

Eurovision Song Contest - YouTube

I'm rooting for Serbia  and Ukraine

Today I started watching the first few episodes of season 1 of Antidisturbios (Riot Police), which is a Spanish crime drama, centred round the internal affairs investigation into an incident which occurred when a squad of riot police were deployed to facilitate an eviction. Very good IMHO and well worth a watch. I got it from 1337x.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10883660/

5 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Eurovision 2022 kicked off today with Ukraine tipped to win. Here's who is competing and how to watch in Australia (msn.com)

All those with access to SBS On Demand can watch it as above tonight or elsewhere below.

Eurovision Song Contest - YouTube

Eurovision discussion topic here:

• Like 1

Dr. Strange 2

IMAX 3D - Siam Paragon

My first in-theatre experience in ~ 30 months. And to return to IMAX - I forgot how amazing an experience it was/is. The director of DS2, Sam Raimi recommended seeing it on the biggest screen you can.

Loved the film - I was a Marvel kid so am into the MCU - and it's an amazing thrill-ride. Benedict Cumberbatch was meant to play this role (including variants), no question. And the supporting cast, especially Elizabeth Olsen and Benedict Wong are awesome in their recurring roles. And newcomer Xochitl Gomez as America Chavez crushes it.

8.5/10 for me.

Bring on Thor 4.

The Avatar 2 trailer is amazing in 3D.

Of-note, during the pre-movie ritual only three (3) people stood up, while 50 plus remained seated. Awkward. 

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, no need for any more woke alerts, as I think we all expect everything to be 'woke' now, as there is not going back.

Watched 'the Lost City' ... may want to give that a pass, unless running out of things to pass the time.

Think 'Romancing the Stone' ... but not even close.

It was barely interesting, not too much enjoyment to be had though. The addition of the very unpleasant woman was IMO a huge mistake- just annoying, and couldn't even act. No real reason to even be in the movie, other than wokeness.

Romancing the Stone- now that was a great movie. Funny, adventurous, and a really great finale song.

Not enough movies have good endings like that. Zatoichi had an even better one than Romancing.

• Like 2

Just finished Twin Peaks, the Return.

When it was good it was very good and when it was bad it was just awful.

Too much awful to be a great series though. Some episodes were just barking- thank goodness for fast forward.

When I have to look up the internet to see what the <deleted> happened the writer hasn't done a good job.

Has to have the absolute worst ending of any series I ever saw, given there are no plans for a follow up to wrap it all up and explain it.

Looking back, I have a sneaking suspicion that Lynch was taking the <deleted> with a lot of it, and especially the last episode.

However, it does have some fantastic music in it ( and some really horrible music as well ). Shadow by The Chromatics was wonderful.

12 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Williams argues that anyone interested in building a truly free, egalitarian and democratic society needs to tackle wokeness head-on."

IMO the time for such passed in the late 60s in the Vietnam morass. Now it's just greed and money, money money.

Wokeness IMO is a symptom and not the cause of modern descent into oblivion.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Oh contraire ... still a good thread with suggestions, when presented.  Got a few good ones to watch.  If closed, please start another.  As the other TV series thread just popped up after a long lull, and now gone again, I think.  If anything, this stays active.

Strange that some think it's up to them to dictate when a thread is "done". So long as anyone wants to post it's not "done".

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LosLobo said:

We don't "all know how viewing figures tanked under a woman being the doctor".

Especially those who know the facts.

Jodie Whittaker Regenerates ‘Doctor Who’ With 47 Percent Viewer-Growth From Last Year (thewrap.com)

Based on the above fact, I think with more "inclusive casting", ratings and viewing figures may actually increase.

IMO viewers watch shows with good writing and acting, regardless of gender. Perhaps they had better writing with the female Dr, but I'll never know as I gave up watching it a few Doctors ago as it was just not worth it anymore. Far as I'm concerned the best Dr was Patrick Troughton, and his "assistant" was definitely the most attractive.

When the gender of the Dr is more important than the stories, something is rotten in Denmark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Note to self ... move TV closer to bed

Sure, if that's the biggest screen you have access to. 

Note to self, you could also move the bed closer to the TV.

Suggest that would be easier, especially for wall-mounted installations.

50 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Sure, if that's the biggest screen you have access to. 

Note to self, you could also move the bed closer to the TV.

Suggest that would be easier, especially for wall-mounted installations.

Neither would work, both too heavy.  It's 65" TV, and relative to how small the screens are (not Imax) in the theaters these days, I'm not seeing much difference, especially if not sitting up front, so that the whole screen is within your peripheral view.

Advantage to torrents, besides no buyer regret, we get to pause, rewind, subs or not, and replay whenever, which is extremely rare of late, as none worth the bother.

And best ... no annoying distraction from others while watching, along with snacking on whatever we choose. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I would probably put my money on the Ukrainian even if they didn't sing...... its always been a little political.

Do you remember the last years one--- everyone upset at Britain for Brexit.  They gave them Zero points-- Zero points, never been seen before .

So UK beaten into last place  by Germany who just entered a Finger. 

image.png.0a9fc93b01ace8b067ca4096484f8f68.png

Anyway it reminded me of "Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga"  Very funny movie (& I am not usually into that type of movies)

The cast including Will Ferrell (who co-wrote it) and  Rachel McAdams, who play 2 complete idiots from Iceland who enter it.

If you haven't seen it---its well worth a look....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1