Thaksin Insists On Returning Next Month Despite Family’s Warning

webfact

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If he would have returned 10 years ago then he would be soon out of prison. Maybe a few years more.

If he returns now, then maybe they let him out at his 90th birthday - if he behaves.

Come on Thaksin, come back! Don't just talk too much as usual. Do it!

Your repetition for every peace of news about this man are starting to be a little bit boring. Sounds like you think you can dare him? Do you hold such power?

This is easy to understand. There will not be any long time in jail fore him. If so, he would not make the choice to return. If he returns???

Maybe he will get a huge fine and 2-5 years. After 1,5-3 he will be out.

Edited by Gottfrid

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

About 2500 drug suspects were killed when he was in charge. Few of us will miss the drug dealers, but it seems too many of those dead people were called suspects so that the police could claim that they did a good job. There was definitely a lot of injustice. How many innocent people were killed will probably never come out. He has a lot of blood on his hands. That is clear. 

Why no charges against Thaksin?

His opponents have had a decade of unimpeded rule and have accused Thaksin of all sorts of nonsense during this period, but they never ever even hinted at charges over the drug war.

Why is that?

33 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

His opponents have had a decade of unimpeded rule and have accused Thaksin of all sorts of nonsense during this period, but they never ever even hinted at charges over the drug war.

Why is that?

Because his opponents are idiots?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am always confused where these impressions come from. I felt welcome in Thailand under any government. I don't blame them for having immigration laws. Every country has these laws. And many of us would hope those laws would be more radical "back home".

Obviously, some regulations, like reporting every 90 days, feel a little stupid. But come on, that and a yearly visa renewal is maybe one day inconvenience per year to stay in Thailand. I don't think that is a problem. 

"...........a yearly visa renewal is maybe one day inconvenience per year"

In my neck of the woods, a visa renewal is NEVER a "one day inconvenience"!

I know of one guy who had to go back and forth 8 (EIGHT!) times in order to satisfy an over zealous pedantic young I.O.! (And don't give me that old herring about "he should have got it right in the first place". The things he was asked to do/obtain/provide weren't even on the local Immigration "checklist" which also quite often differs from the Head Office official recommendations.)

7 hours ago, FarangJon said:

Disgusting Person.

Crazy talk.

He was the elected PM who was overthrown AND convicted by the current junta who undeniably is the most corrupt and pathetic junta ever to overthrow an elected government in Thailand.

So far anyways. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Why is that?

Because he might invoke a higher authority who had mentioned the scourge of drugs in his annual birthday speech.

But Thaksin, being the idiot he is, adopted his ' sales' approach to the drugs war. Nunbers of arrests, 'shot dead by other gang members' were issued to local authorities, if target numbers weren't reached, they faced threats of transfer..

In some places, boxes were placed in fron of police stations where citizens could anonymously leave names of drug suspects.

'What a way to get rid of that rival phone repair shop. I'll put his name in the box' 

Many were executed extra judiciously.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The very same, Thailand does not need Thaksin, the miltary or any other self serving politicians.

It needs new blood who understand the times we are in now and the future ahead.

Not the dinosaurs still living in the past.

Best of luck Pita and MFP

Yet, what if your/our beloved Pita and the MF folks are more akin to wolves in sheep's clothing [sort to speak]?

They haven't done anything yet - just dreamy talk is all.

I wish them the best as well, but still instinctively cautious and cynical. 

Remember. Thai politics.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Best stay out of Thailand for ever... they have the wealth to allow family to go to Dubai.

If he loved Thailand so much why did he rob it blind, and cause so much trouble then and since leaving?

Like the orange one, the only thing he loves is himself. Unlike Dannie boy , he will do something for the country if he thinks it will advance his drive for wealth and power. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Yet, what if your/our beloved Pita and the MF folks are more akin to wolves in sheep's clothing [sort to speak]?

They haven't done anything yet - just dreamy talk is all.

I wish them the best as well, but still instinctively cautious and cynical. 

Remember. Thai politics.

They haven't done anything yet because they are not in power yet. Prayut is still running the show. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Also....during Thaksin's era, the renewal of secret disappearance practices increased 10 fold - towards drug associated, "activists" of every description and those considered troublemakers regardless of their politics. 

Secret police and political henchmen had become glamourised again. 

These activities hark back to the late 50s and well into the 60s/70s under the likes of Phibun, Thanarat and Kittikachorn. 

Thailand was called a police state under Thaksin 

• Love It 1

9 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Terrible timing!

Works for him, but it's really just going to stir the pot of an already fraught process, and the old buzzard isn't even a currently elected individual.

"Works for him, ..."

I wonder what that means. Is he expecting that on arrival there will be a high level dignatories meet and greet ceremony with snr. gov't officials all saluting and smiling, giant bouquets of flowers etc?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Let him come....Let's see if he can buy his way out.

The challenge is not whether he can buy his way out I do not think the military will let him.  It is the problem of what he does to the country.

If he is jailed as he should be then the red shirt supporters will be in the streets.

If he is either pardoned or given home incarceration with free rein to talk to everyone and the press then the Yellow or non-Thaksin will protest.

Imagine the pressure that will be on the NFP from it;'s followers to take action that the court ordered as I strongly doubt he has many followers in the younger crowd and is seen as another one of the rich old guards that won't let democracy grow.

That is why no military government has tried to get him or Yingluck brought back the best place for them and Thailand was wandering around the world looking impotent.

It is interesting to note that while he wants to come back little sister is having nothing to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

6 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Ahh ... The messiah returns.  Thailand is saved lol ????????

I wonder if folks will congregate along the route waving palm leaves?

red t shirts and flags it would almost be like the parade route for King....................

charles

2 hours ago, sambum said:

"...........a yearly visa renewal is maybe one day inconvenience per year"

In my neck of the woods, a visa renewal is NEVER a "one day inconvenience"!

I know of one guy who had to go back and forth 8 (EIGHT!) times in order to satisfy an over zealous pedantic young I.O.! (And don't give me that old herring about "he should have got it right in the first place". The things he was asked to do/obtain/provide weren't even on the local Immigration "checklist" which also quite often differs from the Head Office official recommendations.)

Obviously there might be some cases which are not straightforward.

My original reply was to someone who wrote it is more and more difficult for farangs in Thailand. And that is still something I disagree with. Individual immigration officers might be annoying. But overall, it is not difficult for us to stay legally in Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Let him come....Let's see if he can buy his way out.

I agree with letting him come home to Thailand.

To be given a retrial by a non military court and see if they agree with the original post military laws installed after the 2006 military coup that overthrew the LEGALLY elected government running the country in 2006.

After all, military coups are illegal are they not? If it was an illegal coup then any laws passed after that must be illegal as well.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

If he is jailed as he should be then the red shirt supporters will be in the streets.

Do bear in mind that in the past the red shirts got paid for taking to the streets.  We'll have to see if he fosters a new red shirt initiative.  No money no honey.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, FarangJon said:

Life time jail for Thailands biggest chinese gangster please. Nothing else would be fair.  Maybe death penalty would be. Disgusting Person.

And what punishment would YOU suggest for the instigators of an illegal military coup.

Please note that a military coup steals the entire country from a legally elected government, and since 1932 NO general has spent even 1 day in jail.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

I can't see it happening. Was there any investigation into the thousands of innocent live he took in the south where he planted drugs on the already dead body and told people he caught another drug dealer. I doubt it 

Do you have any single scrap of proof that Thaksin personally did that?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Come on in, Thakky...

Things are on shaky ground these days and the young stud, Pita, requires assistance. 

I'm sure you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Yes indeed, especially in Lanna and Isaan. I hope he enters the country on an international flight into Chiang Mai - avoid Bangkok like the plague!! As an ex Northern "country bumkin"- my hero:

Former Thai PM Visits Phnom Penh

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Best stay out of Thailand for ever... they have the wealth to allow family to go to Dubai.

If he loved Thailand so much why did he rob it blind, and cause so much trouble then and since leaving?

And why have there been so many military coups where the whole country was stolen from the Thai people against their wishes? 

3 hours ago, h90 said:

Because his opponents are idiots?

How did you reach this conclusion?

Whilst considering all the possibilities, did you ask yourself whether you yourself are either misinformed, ignorant or outright wrong in your opinions on this particular topic?

Or, asked another way, how do you know you are right?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1