British Teacher Assaulted by Phuket Tailor in Front of Her Children

webfact

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Personally, I have found the Thai police/legal system to be fair and reasonable.

I have been involved in a number of court cases and a few local incidents with the police.

Bangkok (murder case), Bangkok (libel) Hua Hin (vehicle accident), Samui (thefts and my wife's estate was intestate after she died).

All resolved fairly. No bribes were paid on my side in any of the cases.

With the murder case, the corruption started after the hitman and the paymaster were gaoled.

Lucky you were still around to handle the murder case personally.

• Love It 1

22 minutes ago, n00dle said:

This is a fine festival of victim blaming without a clue to what actually happened. 

even if she were a bitch, is the assault justifiable?  t

For those asking whether or not having the children present is relevant, most people modify their behavior with kids present -- not doing so is kind of a red flag that raises questions about the deeper nature of our tailor.    

What part of "Shopkeeper should be punished" don't you understand? 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Following the assault, Ms. Inder promptly reported the incident to the Cheng Talay Police Station. However, she was disheartened when the police initially suggested a settlement between her and the tailor, an option she outrightly rejected.

She expressed her confusion and dissatisfaction, insisting on taking the matter through the full legal process to ensure accountability.

She needs to learn Thai culture a little more.  It's normal (where the aggressor isn't foreign) to try to settle things with as little fuss as possible and allow the aggressor to simply pay compensation.

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:
4 hours ago, NemoH said:

British Karen in a calm, patient, soft spoken n peaceful Buddhist Thailand. What can go wrong? 🤣🤣

The term "karen" is used far too much, especially creeps like you, who simply have a limited ability to think.

@Liverpool Lou, Where are you? I would have thought you would have been all over this one! 🤣

• Love It 1

I don't understand why the teacher took her students to a discussion with the tailor about modifying a dress. If she didn't like the price he demanded, why didn't she just leave? I agree he shouldn't have slapped her, but there's something strange about this story.

ETA: Oops! The story says repeatedly that it was her children with her, not her students. Sorry, don't know why I read it the other way. I still don't understand why she didn't simply walk away when she didn't like the price. Also don't understand why she didn't accept the police recommendation. It sounds like she provoked the assault and is trying to force criminal charges against this guy.

Edited by Acharn
Correct an error
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Why do people move to a country, then demand the same standards they left behind?  Monetary compensation is the local standard.  They aren't going to change centuries of culture for her...

Is slapping women normal here then? She's taking it through the Thai legal system not  a western one, although it will be based on that. I don't know what he said to her, but maybe she can sue him for defamation. Now that is Thai culture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

This is a specific behavior towards women in Phuket as the majority of the local population is Muslim. Many individuals are very arrogant and self assured, to say the least.

This incident would probably never happen in the North or North East of Thailand. What do you think?

Phuket is a very snobbish place. Many locals have been corrupted by the big money they can easily extract from foreign tourists. What a shame.

I would certainly avoid Phuket by all means.

Sorry for my bad English, this is not my first language.

The majority are Muslim?? I don’t think so in fact i know they are not. Where did you dig this garbage up from??

Edited by Reddavy
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Very, very unusual in Thailand. Who said what to whom and why are the key questions.

Yes.

Extremely unusual.

This is why I do not believe it.

Why were there no cameras and videos, I wonder?

Does the teach in question speak passa Thai?

And, if not...WHY NOT?

I can understand if she just got off the boat as a newcomer to Thailand.

But, is this the case?

Has she even made any ATTEMPT to take an intensive course in written and spoken Thai?

Most do not.

They just exist in their tiny bubbles until their contract is up, and then they go somewhere else, maybe taking their shoddy credentials with them.

Why not just teach in their home country?

Don't they have tailors in their home country?

And, maybe this teacher would prefer a tailor in her home country...IF...that is....she could even AFFORD a tailor in her home country....

Which is highly doubtful.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chris BKK said:

Name and shame the aggressive tailor so all can avoid that shop. I purchased from a a tailor shop run by a person from a country  east of Thailand across the sea once only, never again as their natural inclination is well known, starts with ch--ting

All this outrage, does being aggressive make him less of a tailor? So he slapped a woman, did the world end? Consider that nor every arse kicking just falls out of the sky, there's a story behind every reaction, he had a bad day and she probably crossed a line so now you get faux outrage to prove how woke you are and while you're at it lets ruin every Indian tailor because you had a bad experience with one,

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Khao Sod is less coy than the unknown source of the OP.  It provides the name of the brave woman hitting tailor as Mr. Daeng Phanupong of Smart Tailor Shop.  Not so smart now Mr Daeng, even though you thought it was clever to slap a female customer so hard she fell down in front of her children. Was the extra 100 baht worth it?

We don't know that because we weren't there, we don't know what was said, she must have crossed a line, this wasn't just a disagreement about price.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

First of all I think the tailor should be called out by name, including the name of his shop, so people can make a choice do they want to patronize a creep, or would they rather go somewhere else? The second issue here is that it just feels like lazy police work, where they're just simply unwilling to pursue a crime that's been committed. Granted, it's a minor crime, slapping someone, but still it is at least a minor assault.

Come on guys, get to work. 

If the police get the people involved to make a financial agrerment. Usually the police get their cut. 

5 hours ago, n00dle said:

You start off with a ridiculous question and just dig yourself a deeper hole from there. 

please show me where any news story on this indicates that her "children" means her "students"?

I'm not even going to address the liability (read stupidity) of inferring that getting knocked off your feet by a slap in front of your children should be used as a teaching moment. 

i seriously question your intelligence 

Calm TF down noodle. Teachers are known to refer to their students as their children. My mistake. Don't get yourself worked up into a tizzy. You'll live longer (not that a give AF). And don't be so sure this women isn't a <deleted>. Who deserves what in this entire event is anyone's guess (based on the reporting). But don't be so sure that she couldn't have simply walked away, and indeed be the bigger person, and a role model for her own offspring. But she decided to lean into this guy by running her month and got slap to the ground instead. Honestly, I wouldn't want this women teaching my kids if that's an accurate depiction of her decision making ability.