Alcohol Sales Prohibited in Thailand on July 20-21, 2024

Last year went to a concert at  Wat on one pf these booze free religious days. Surprised when a table went up with beer and brandy on it for the organisers. Asked the mrs about why it was allowed, she said its OK as they bought it yesterday. TIT

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I used to get a 24 can case of Beer Chang from Villa Market a few days before. And as someone said, surely one day of not going out isn't that big a deal!

Doesn't your Villa Market provide booze throughout the period.  I can't remember a shop (not chain) ever not selling liquor in 20 years.  

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

i could never understand the attraction to alcohol.  it can kill you, make you act stupid, ruin relationships and you feel like crap the day after. its for people who are afraid to be themselves.  crutch. 

😴😴😴

All about choice, chap. Powers that be ban it here because of face / being seen to toe the line. It is conformist, controlling and has a detrimental effect on their cherished tourism. Doesn’t bother me either way but guaranteed they will also be on it like normal people… not that this government is normal. 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Doesn't your Villa Market provide booze throughout the period.  I can't remember a shop (not chain) ever not selling liquor in 20 years.  

Here in Phuket, Supercheap dont seem to care, 

I totally disagree with this approached... I'm a staunch Buddhist.. it's fine and I respect every religion...but to imposed this force value of "No liquor sales"  ?...Why are you enforcing your value and belief on to others....but if you say you respect and  observe lent days...than all the more you should not enforce this value..cause in Buddhism, buddha Precepts teaching  and advice is a true guidance to life..only...if you can follow....by the "Alcohol Sales Ban" This is totally despect for other religion and believes...."Why force your Believes and values to others" and cause a lot of inconvenience. I believed strongly that a religion, don't have to sell or force your Believes or value to others.."Roll Royce" don't advertise ...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peterphuket said:

But not known to the tourist.

You are right, I have some guest I might just send them a reminder today just incase

• Thumbs Up 1

Hang on. Sales is prohibited but not consumption. Right? What if a shop gives one away. The customer tips the shop for being a good guy. We all know where to get it from during those days. Don’t we? Just another ill-planned action from gov. 

I love these Buddhist holidays.  2 days of peace and quiet instead of the usual loudmouth yammering coming from all the bars around my condo.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, malibukid said:

i could never understand the attraction to alcohol.  it can kill you, make you act stupid, ruin relationships and you feel like crap the day after. its for people who are afraid to be themselves.  crutch. 

I bet you're a laugh-a-minute

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Monday is also a public holiday for a religious reason - does the same apply then too?

No, it is a day off work because the public holiday is over a weekend.

A day off in lieu of you like.

I used to quite enjoy a day off in Looe - nice place!

• Confused 1

Those that want to drink alcohol during this time including Buddhist's will stock up so all its really affecting is the businesses like bars & restaurants and the tourism trade which Thailand is trying to promote!  Obviously all the mom & pop shops and those illegally selling will benefit given the corrupt mind set in Thailand so all this religious ban really does is promote the illegal sales of alcohol and all the law abiding business's loose out! 

"Just another hypocritical rule that makes no sense"

But weed shops.......

The sole purpose of alcohol is not to get high, but the sole purpose of weed is to get high. People drink beer because it tastes good. Same with wine. Nobody smokes weed for the flavor.

Apparently stoned is pious and spiritual, while drunk is not. Nor is alcohol breath, even if only one beer.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1