What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

49 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Just watched this first episode,not bad,i went to live in London in the swinging 60s( thats another story) but never ever ever saw anything like this ,my dad was Jewish,came over in the war to fight,we were brought up Christian ,but honestly never ever seen any anti sematism in my life ,certainly never in the swinging 60s.

Still the series is not to bad.

I also grew up in that east end London, bert---I think your right--about that time you had the Rivers of Blood speech/marches Enoch Powell, but mainly against the West Indians. The Jewish immigrants were mostly into the rag trade--- reminds me something like all the Indian tailors when you walk through BKK. I left in 1968

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Just watched the many saints of newark,about the young life of Soprano, if you watch it look for one with subs ,couldnt understand half of it.

I always use subs if they're available.

RARBG usually have them.

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Just watched this first episode,not bad,i went to live in London in the swinging 60s( thats another story) but never ever ever saw anything like this ,my dad was Jewish,came over in the war to fight,we were brought up Christian ,but honestly never ever seen any anti sematism in my life ,certainly never in the swinging 60s.

Still the series is not to bad.

Ridley Road,

Quite enjoyed the program,

Agree my Aunt married a Polish Jew who came over in the war, my first kiss was with a Jewish girl.

I didn't see any anti-Jewish feelings either, this was 1960s-early 1970s.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

After 3 episodes had enough. Couldn't see what the fuss was about. Apparently if you managed to get as far as episode 8 then the acting really got bad (worse?).

For me it was consistently ok throughout all the episodes. It dipped a bit around episode 8 or 9 when all the western actor's dialogue was overdubbed with naffy English, similar to what the Chinese do in their films. 

The gore wasn't any gorier than what you see in a lot of other movies, just that there was a lot more of it. Mostly just head shots.  

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Couldn't care less about his private life. I take movies on their own merit, not because some particular person made it.

Not a great movie at all IMO. Very average.

When I first saw it years ago I thought it was very good. Saw it again only a week ago because I lost me internet connection. This time I thought it was ok.

I've noticed my humour has changed over the years though. Some things are still funny, some to a lesser degree than before, and some that just make me cringe thinking that I used to find them funny.  

11 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

For me, it's:  1. Annie Hall  2. Manhattan  3. Hannah and Her Sisters  4. Crimes & Misdemeanors  5. Midnight in Paris  6. The Purple Rose of Cairo  7. Love and Death  8. Broadway Danny Rose                 9. Husbands and Wives  10.  Blue Jasmine /  Match Point

Here's one that not many are aware of.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 4:29 PM, Will27 said:

The Many Saints of Newark

Out there now on RARBG.
Summary: A look at the formative years of New Jersey gangster Tony Soprano.

I felt compelled to watch this and came away disappointed. Young Tony didn't cut it...all the other amazing characters were caricatures...and they just had to create that woke whites hate blacks angle to stay relevant.

I did like the ending where the tv music came on while young Tony stares at the coffin...that was dope.

• Like 1

The Act.

A binge worthy eight part series, I can imagine if you like Mommy Dearest and A Streetcar Named Desire, you'll like this.

I will provide a woke sensitive alert though for those that judge shows on such things. The main character's neighbor, a strong white woman without a man is often seen hanging out with a jolly black woman so there is an unconfirmed hint of lesbiania and interracial lesbiana at that. There is a super competent South Asian doctor as well. As it's based on a true story, I will leave it to others to do the research about whether or not the true life doctor was an ethnic minority or if the casting was done to check off the boxes.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2021 at 7:07 PM, Jingthing said:

Who is Roger Bert, and why should I care what his opinion of movies is? I said I don't think it was a great movie. Others may disagree, as is their right. This is a discussion forum, isn't it, or did that change when I wasn't looking?

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, MJCM said:

The Green Hornet (1966-1967) the one with Bruce Lee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Hornet_(TV_series)

Unfortunately I never got to see that series. Poor Bruce got royally screwed by American producers. Kung <deleted> was apparently his idea, and he wanted to play the lead, but they put David Carradine instead, and Carradine doesn't look Asian at all, so I was confused at why he was an outcast because of his mixed race.

46 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, but he's so boring that I forgot why I was watching that about 30 seconds in. I hope he doesn't depend on U Tube interviews for a living.

He died 2013

On 10/3/2021 at 8:59 AM, Will27 said:

The Thin Blue Line AKA Tunna blå linjen

Couldn't find a clip with subs, sorry.

Was a right PITA - but found the DL - in Spanish

Deleted the srt files, found the english srt and DL them

Viola - all 10 episodes, about 1GB each, with Eng subs

• Like 1

Big Ben: Restoring the World-Famous Clock | 2021 Documentary

As Big Ben goes silent for a multi-million restoration, architectural historian Anna Keay gains exclusive behind-the-scenes access to the work:-

Also available on TVChaos  :smile:

• Thanks 2

Saw the movie Wrath of Man at Major in Pattaya today. Starring Jason Statham and directed by Guy Ritchie, it is standard JS shoot 'em up fare. Jeffrey Donovan and Scott Eastwood give good support; Eastwood is a spit for his dad in the Spaghetti Westerns. It was an enjoyable enough film, though a little long.

Roll on 007 later this week.

On 10/4/2021 at 1:33 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Zelig is brilliantly made, but doesn't quite make my top 10 of his.

For me, it's:  1. Annie Hall  2. Manhattan  3. Hannah and Her Sisters  4. Crimes & Misdemeanors  5. Midnight in Paris  6. The Purple Rose of Cairo  7. Love and Death  8. Broadway Danny Rose                 9. Husbands and Wives  10.  Blue Jasmine /  Match Point

The film he should have made but never did:

Honey I Banged the Kids.

On 10/4/2021 at 12:46 PM, Jingthing said:

It's fashionable to trash Woody Allen these days because of his various scandals but he has made many great films including Annie Hall. Not to everyone's taste of course. 

A  great  Woody Film I really enjoyed is 

• Thanks 1