Family's dream pool turns into a "cowboys' nightmare"! Company threatens them if they complain

webfact

54 minutes ago, DezLez said:

It might have gone swimmingly if they had splashed out the money on a reputable company instead of jumping in the deep end with a bunch of sharks.

Yes, sure. But sometimes it is not so easy to find out how reputable a company or person is. And sometimes reputable companies want a lot of money for seemingly small jobs so I understand when people think: My neighbor Somchai can do that for 1/4 of that money. And maybe Somchai can do that. But just in case he can't it's good to make a contract (with Somchai and any reputable builder).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When did they part with that money? Before the work started? Did they have a contract with details of what has to be done? Did they have an agreement that they only pay if the pool is properly installed and the installation is inspected?

Obviously people should do good work when they get paid a lot of money. But it seems too many people are ready to pay too early for bad work. And it seems too many people hire others to do work without any meaningful contract. It should be obvious to everybody that that is a bad idea.

Yes, like thieving extended family members who have many properties and drives a merc car and a solicitor stating a very large loan but they insisted it was a gift when trying to get money back and no grounds to get it back, despite constant reminders and yes occasionally see the lady at funerals and does the wai.
GRRRRRRRRRRRR and wonder why so very angry my families money, not theirs.

• Confused 2

I don’t know where these so called contractors and technicians get their training or lack of.  But from my experience they don’t know much of anything.  And if there is a problem the common answer “that’s normal “

Dealing with contractors in the west you get some bad ones.  But here it’s the worst. 

Before spending that amount of money I would have asked the company for 'references', names of customers that had used their services. Before I had my house remodeled I saw one I liked and wanted to ask them who did the job so I could use them too, but that idea was too alien for the wife to agree to. Instead, we used a relative and his crew and it was only after they had done a less than stellar job that I was told they had no qualifications whatsoever.

5 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Looks like a case of someone not done their home work on expansion......when water added and heat..

I thought the same thing. It seems inevitable.

Such fiberglass liners are never a good investment. If the water is drained the earth will also just 'spit' the liner up.

The buyers didn't really do their homework or they would have turned up reports on the web.

When will people seek references before engaging with builders. There are very few honest reliable builiders anywhere in the world and least of all here in Thailand. There are some good ones so ask around and go to see houses or in this case, pools, built by recommended builder. It's not rocket science. We've had nothing but really great experiences with our builder and have become  family friends.. He's now built more than 8 luxury villas for friends, all of whom are thrilled with the outcome. Background checks whether building or buying in Thailand is a must. Its very easy to do. 

3 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Well, the company is right about the green water. It's not their problem because regular pools needs chemicals like chlorine to keep the water clean and to prohibit algae buildup. Having said that, it's definitely not normal to have a pool leaning and the huge gap on the right hand side doesn't seem to be normal either. Press charges!

Nice view by the way!

I hadn't noticed that but YES it is , so much better than looking at that drinking trough .

• Like 1

A friend of mine (in Belgium), bought 2 years ago a new kitchen for his Thai restaurant at a fair.
Price: more than 25,000 Euro.
When the fair was over, the company was declared "broke" was dissolved.
He never saw his new kitchen nor the 25,000 Euro.
Cowboys are everywhere.
Also, every day, another nutter is born.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Before spending that amount of money I would have asked the company for 'references', names of customers that had used their services. Before I had my house remodeled I saw one I liked and wanted to ask them who did the job so I could use them too, but that idea was too alien for the wife to agree to. Instead, we used a relative and his crew and it was only after they had done a less than stellar job that I was told they had no qualifications whatsoever.

What happens when the wife wears the pants.

Perhaps the warranty only covers the pool for leaking.  This pool might not be leaking.

I've been looking at pool companies lately.  I will probably get one for my new home.  JD pools has a 15 year warranty on thier fiberglass pools and a 10 year warranty on their liner pools.  "15 year structural warranty, strong, flexible and leak-free".  I'd say the pool in the article meets the 'flexible' part of the warranty.

Anyway it would be nice to know which companies to avoid.