Foreign Tourist Attacked by Hostile Youngsters in Pattaya

snoop1130

5 hours ago, Regyai said:

C'mon probably as straightforward as two Thais out celebrating a birthday and this falang came along suddenly making a noise like a pinata.

So the scooter lads knew that waaaay back up the road, so found a lump of wood to whack the bloke............:coffee1:

How about, the scooter lads wanted to whack a farangy with a lump of wood whilst zooming past on their bike, so they would not risk getting knocked out by the farangy.....

2 minutes ago, ravip said:

If one is to go by the majority of comments here-in, no foreigner should step into Thailand. As innocent foreigners will be randomly bashed by Thais.

'nuff said.

Above comment got a proper response instantly- sad emoji - Hurrah!!! 

1 minute ago, transam said:

Kids on bikes with sticks, why do you think 'they really wanted to bash a random farangy'......🤭

That's exactly what I am trying to get at - 'they really wanted to bash a random farangy'

There must be more to the story, me thinks.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Might want to tune into the local news daily. You'll see but a fraction of what goes on here daily. People don't adore violence in the US. The movies we see are a release of sorts, and not what the general public practices. There is a lot of violence everywhere, including here, and a lot more than you realize. It's not a good idea to stick up for violence towards foreigners, nor anyone else for that matter. It's far from rare here. What is lacking here is enforcement of laws already on the books. People that aren't punished for violent acts will continue them.

I could not possibly disagree more with virtually everything you said. Number one America is a nation that was founded upon violence, it has always been violent, and it will always be violent. 500 plus mass shootings so far this year, what do you call that? 

And number two the violence perpetrated upon foreigners in Thailand is very minimal. Yes there is a lot of violence in Thailand, but it's primarily Thai on Thai, which doesn't concern us very much. So continue with the panic mongering all you want, most of us are not buying into it. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I could not possibly disagree more with virtually everything you said. Number one America is a nation that was founded upon violence, it has always been violent, and it will always be violent. 500 plus mass shootings so far this year, what do you call that? 

And number two the violence perpetrated upon foreigners in Thailand is very minimal. Yes there is a lot of violence in Thailand, but it's primarily Thai on Thai, which doesn't concern us very much. So continue with the panic mongering all you want, most of us are not buying into it. 

not so sure about that.

in the usa you know where to go and who to complain to. anything happens i'm a native and know exactly where to go and what to do if i'm attacked, and how to handle the attack as well.

in thailand i'm just sitting on the side of the road helpless or afraid to fight back because it might cause legal problems or problems with local thai's.

i feel safer in even rough areas of the usa, like oakland and nyc, then i do in any foreign country.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm in Patts at the end of the Month got me gear ready for a night out. Cash in the zipped pocket no jewelry on no wallet but me 1 item in my arse pocket is a Pepper Spray for a night out in Paradise. Strange the report wasn't from a concerned Netizen.

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Could contain:

Well...  we know it wasn't because he did a running from the local waxing salon !!! 

But really, very strange....  many possible reasons...

... Just a Gang initiation or dare.... 

... he upset a local...

... wrong place wrong time (wrong guy)...

But...  wanting to keep anonymous seems dodgy, but then my preference would be to keep out of the news too.

2 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

I'm in Patts at the end of the Month got me gear ready for a night out. Cash in the zipped pocket no jewelry on no wallet but me 1 item in my arse pocket is a Pepper Spray for a night out in Paradise. Strange the report wasn't from a concerned Netizen.

We'll be on the lookout for....    Bob Smith gets pepper sprayed by another foreigner for being an absolute pest !!!  :giggle:

Seriously though... unless the pepper spray is for the soi mutts on the walk home just behave and you'll be fine, no need for any of that stuff, no need to get into any debate with the local hoons etc...  just enjoy yourself and keep your head on straight.

13 hours ago, Caldera said:

Possibly but that would be rare. More likely that this tourist had had an encounter with one of the youths before this happened, then the youth called his friends and tracked him down for revenge.

I guess you didn't bother to read the articles

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

not so sure about that.

in the usa you know where to go and who to complain to. anything happens i'm a native and know exactly where to go and what to do if i'm attacked, and how to handle the attack as well.

in thailand i'm just sitting on the side of the road helpless or afraid to fight back because it might cause legal problems or problems with local thai's.

i feel safer in even rough areas of the usa, like oakland and nyc, then i do in any foreign country.

Walk down the side streets at night in any major UK city, and you're at risk of getting more than a poke with a stick. 

I feel much much safer on the streets of Thailand than I do in the UK. Maybe it's different in the US...

In 20+ years I've never been in in a physical altercation in Thailand. It's not difficult to stay out of trouble.  

8 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Walk down the side streets at night in any major UK city, and you're at risk of getting more than a poke with a stick. 

I feel much much safer on the streets of Thailand than I do in the UK. Maybe it's different in the US...

In 20+ years I've never been in in a physical altercation in Thailand. It's not difficult to stay out of trouble.  

i guess the op disagrees with you 🤷🏻‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Of course not, they'll come back with a completely different story in a few days anyway. Thai reporting. 🙄

yeah its always great to not read the story and just make up your own version

15 minutes ago, Dan O said:

yeah its always great to not read the story and just make up your own version

I didn't. I weighed the probabilities of two scenarios, based on experience with countless similar stories over the years. I guess we'll see about this one in due time. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I didn't. I weighed the probabilities of two scenarios, based on experience with countless similar stories over the years. I guess we'll see about this one in due time. 

yeah you actually did make up your own version but hey if that gets you through your day go for it

7 hours ago, JimTripper said:

not so sure about that.

You do make a good point, even if you fight back against locals, and win the fight, you've lost the fight. And if his buddies join in then you've lost the fight, so there's really no situation where you going to truly win a battle fighting the locals. 

Fortunately in all the years that I've been here I've run into very few violent Thai people, in contrast I have run into a lot of violent people in America. 

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I guess you don't realize all nations were founded upon violence, with people fighting over land, borders, etc. If America didn't have the Revolutionary War, England would be in charge of it. If Rome wasn't stopped, it would have ruled over all of Europe, and so on. Killings happen daily in almost every country. I wasn't saying violence against foreigners, I was talking about violence in general here. It's not panic mongering but pointing out what it is. And you can't comment on what most aren't buying into anyway, only yourself. The violence against foreigners here has been going on for a long time, and is getting worse. This happens everywhere. If you would look at world news, like I see daily, and also news here, you would see what's actually going on.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You do make a good point, even if you fight back against locals, and win the fight, you've lost the fight. And if his buddies join in then you've lost the fight, so there's really no situation where you going to truly win a battle fighting the locals. 

Fortunately in all the years that I've been here I've run into very few violent Thai people, in contrast I have run into a lot of violent people in America. 

I don't know where you lived in the US, but running into a lot of violent people seems to be a gross exaggeration to me. I lived, worked, and drove in NYC for 30 years. Parents were from Brooklyn. Lived right next to San Antonio for 32 years. I never saw much violence at all, besides people yelling at each other or cutting each other off on the roads, which happens daily here and elsewhere. I was out daily all those years in many rough ares in countless cities in NY, New Jersey, and Texas, including Dallas, Fort Worth and Houston. No one ever tried anything with me. Not once. I'm fully aware daily of what goes on there, along with the violence here and in almost every country on earth. If you go looking for trouble, you will find it. In this case, this has been happening for awhile, and against foreigners, by prejudiced boys taught that prejudice by either their friends or their parents. Asians get attacked all the time in America, and this is one reason why. People in America know what goes on against foreigners in visited countries, especially the sex capital of the world, and retribution comes because of it. The more foreigners are targeted here in Thailand, and other Asian countries, the more Asians will be targeted in America. It's not hard to understand.

22 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

The violence against foreigners here has been going on for a long time, and is getting worse. This happens everywhere. If you would look at world news, like I see daily, and also news here, you would see what's actually going on.

Then the reality is violence and crime is more generally going up, not necessarily only against foreigners?

I don't believe it was for no reason.

IMO there will be a reason, but seems the victim doesn't want to say what it was.

I've only seen three assaults on farangs in all my time there. One was a farang moron in a Nana gogo that got beaten up for abusing a girl ( he deserved it ), a farang guy that p***ed off a bar girl in Pattaya, and a farang with a bar girl that was pursued into the restaurant I was in that must have done something to make the guys chasing him angry.

Apart from that the only times I felt unsafe was from drunk farangs.