British family struggles with father’s funeral costs in Thailand

snoop1130

collage.jpg

The sudden death of a British man from Sunderland has left his family reeling, both emotionally and financially.

Alan Carr Bryan, a well-known Sunderland local nicknamed “The Bear” passed away at his hotel in Pattaya on July 28, prompting his daughter, Abigail Ilsley, and stepdaughter, Natalie Parish, to travel to Thailand for his funeral and to settle his affairs.

Despite his prior travel insurance, Bryan unknowingly overstayed his coverage, leaving his family with an unexpected financial burden of approximately £6,000 (around 270,000 baht). Bryan’s ex-wife, Julie Robertson, mother to Abigail, described their ongoing relationship.

“I am his ex-wife, but we had been in touch constantly through our daughter. We were still friends; we had always been friends. He used to phone me from Thailand and introduce me as his wife. I would say, ‘We have been divorced for 24 years’.”

The family’s concern grew when Bryan abruptly ceased communication.

“He was supposed to be in contact with us, but we could not get hold of him. His phone was just ringing, his Thai phone was just ringing – then one of his friends told us he had found him in his hotel room and he had passed away.”

Ilsley and Parish are staying with a friend of Bryan’s in Pattaya but are still facing a steep bill for travel, funeral, and paperwork costs.

Robertson has set up a GoFundMe page to help with the expenses.

“We have raised about £2,100, but it was four grand just for the flight.”

The 71 year old man was a beloved figure in Sunderland, renowned for his size and athletic prowess, earning him the nickname “The Bear.” He attended Red House Comprehensive and was the top shot putter in the country at 15. Bryan also played rugby for Belford House and football for various teams. He worked as a bus driver and bouncer in the city centre.

A cremation ceremony has already taken place in Thailand, and a memorial service will be arranged later, reported Sunderland Echo.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Julie Robertson via Sunderland Echo

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-16

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

British family struggles with father’s funeral costs in Thailand 

GoFundMe coming shortly 

A cremation ceremony has already taken place in Thailand

Looks like it's happened. 

Just need money for other reasons. 

He used to phone me from Thailand and introduce me as his wife. I would say, ‘We have been divorced for 24 years’.”

This is weird 

Bryan unknowingly overstayed his coverage

Maybe couldn't be bothered renewing. 

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Hard to believe really.

A funeral here, I would expect to be  somewhat cheaper than one back in the UK. Although I hear there is some basic service being offered back there now. 

As someone else said, everyone seems to be looking for someone else to pay for things, and cover their lack of foresight. 

Go fund me the easy way out...

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

A can of petrol and a fire pit is even cheaper. Even if the family did nothing he would still be cremated. I met a monk in Surin who was collecting donations for someone's cremation whose family couldn't afford the cost, there was no need for them to fly to Thailand.

I believe the embassy will arrange something basic, although they don't seem to advertise it. 

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

What is it with Brits and gofundme ?

It isn't only Brits, there's equivalent sites to Gofundme worldwide, covering people from different countries, which you won't see on AseanNow which reports incidents in Thailand. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

If you read before posting, you would know a GoFund me is already set up.

Nothing wrong with having more than one. 

Can you predict the future? 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah, but did you look at the size of them?

Yes.

When I first saw the photo, I had thought they might be from Atlanta, Georgia.

image.png.9aaacd587a6f91d21615772cbc214372.png

Creamy and DIVINE...

Some people live to eat.

Nothing wrong with this, of course.

Some of my best friends are super duper....

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The 71 year old man was a beloved figure in Sunderland, renowned for his size and athletic prowess, earning him the nickname “The Bear.”

image.png.4ea54675161b33242d9e1e3216799c12.png

I don't understand the problem.

As for me, they can just cart me off to the nearest temple, and set me on fire.

This is, really, the way I want to go.

This is really:  The ONLY way to go, IMHO.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1