More AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine will be delivered next month

snoop1130

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

OK, setting AZ up to take the blame/fall.

Will they or could they?

I thought that the Thai manufacturer was not part AZ, but a company (Government selected) that has obtained a license from AZ to manufacture the vaccine.

12 hours ago, Shuya said:

Looks like a very easy and quick process to bring in vaccines from foreign countries - if they want it to be. 

Countries such as South Africa, US, etc that aren't using the AZ they ordered

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Monday that Thailand will take delivery of another lot of AstraZeneca vaccine in June, adding that, if the shots made in Thailand are not ready, the company will have to find them from somewhere else to fill the order, as stipulated in the contract.

I can foresee dodgy labels being stuck on Sinovac bottles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

It is manifestly obvious that, having talked up an ambitious (impossible) vaccination programme, because they have to show that Thailand, with them at the helm, can outperform any other nation, that they are now spinning like tops to conceal the fact that they have insufficient supplies of the vaccines, whether domestically produced or imported to even come remotely near the targets they trumpeted.

They went for domestic production, despite having no experience, or plant because it enabled a certain narrative, and they hoped, stood to make them a lot of money - they were to be the hub of South East Asia. Hub turned into hubris...

They are now scratching around trying to find vaccines from other sources. They opted out of the international protocols because they were "doing their own thing", and, it increasingly appears that are handicapped in any open markets by the embarrassment of not really having any money available, having spent like marines on a run ashore on military equipment and "vanity" infrastructure projects; and it appears, their much vaunted foreign reserves are unavailable -  either "spoken for" or otherwise controlled.

What an utter mess. 

Spin harder chaps, it won't be believed but it will give you something to do whilst the successive tsunamis of reality, incompetence and corruption erode the jerrybuilt foundations of your regime built to last...

A nice allusion that last one I thought?

You've been paying attention I see.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, faraday said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely the Health Minister should know exactly when the vaccines will be ready?

????

#Movable Feast

Not sure why he should, when even the companies themselves (and especially AstraZeneca) have often struggled to meet projected targets.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

37 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

It is manifestly obvious that, having talked up an ambitious (impossible) vaccination programme, because they have to show that Thailand

Based on yesterday's pivot to 8, 12 or 16 weeks for the second does of AZ, I'm not sure everyone was as informed as you?

It got me thinking, after this whole episode is finally behind us, how many are still proud of the choice they made coming here. If most are happy with their choices, what's all the fuss about it now? Isn't it a known fact of this gov capabilities? 

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I don't know what the problem is, but assuming their issues are the same as"the EU" as you stated, then these should have been accounted for, and been wholly avoidable.

That's not necessarily so. Vaccine production (both for AZ and others) involves complex biological processes that are inherently unpredictable. Even batches produced in the same facility can have widely different results.

The link below gives some insight into just how complicated these things can be. 

As it says (in part):

viral-vector companies [...] must grow huge quantities of human cells. ‘And human cell culture is voodoo. Cells do what they want,’ says Lowe. He’s heard that a J&J site in Europe has stubbornly low yields of adenovirus, which they are struggling to troubleshoot. ‘Even under the same conditions you can get different yields, so that is a weak point in using gigantic tanks of human cells’.

Why manufacturing Covid vaccines at scale is hard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I don't know what the problem is, but assuming their issues are the same as"the EU" as you stated, then these should have been accounted for, and been wholly avoidable.

But it is good to have an apologist, if only to balance the comments.

There may or may not be the same problems as in Europe. Nobody outside of the company, maybe the government, really knows. So maybe they should have been accounted for, maybe not. And it’s not even confirmed that there ARE production issues, only rumors.

a bit early to apportion blame yet. IF there is a shortfall and IF it’s as a result of the same issues in Europe, then yes, those SHOULD have been accounted for because they would have been avoidable.

it’s not a question of being apologists, it’s just some facts are required before jumping to conclusions

https://www.astrazeneca.com/country-sites/thailand.html

Significant progress on AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine production in Thailand

Bangkok, 28 April 2021 – AstraZeneca’s plans to produce its COVID-19 Vaccine in Thailand has made significant progress and the first batch of the vaccine will be ready for delivery to the Thailand Government in June of this year. 

A very interesting read, I hope that Siam BioScience look first to providing vaccines to the Thai population prior to selling throughout the Asian region.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

have an appointment on June 8.  Come Monday June 7, assuming I have not gotten a notice cancelling the appointment,  I will contact a friend who works at that hospital and ask if  they have AZ and are proceeding with vaccination of those with registered appointments or not.

Did you get your appointment via Vimut? I got this regret-to-inform announcement when I tried to book today via the link they gave https://qrgo.page.link/jRPU9

vimutno.jpg

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

6 million in June and then 10 million every month thereafter was the plan.....

"Life death is what happens while you're busy making plans"

• Like 1

Prayut was reported yesterday saying that appointments might have to be rescheduled but today Anutin says AZ has assured it will deliver on time, although he doesn't say where from or mention the local licensee by name.  However, that is the only option for AZ, as it has shortfalls everywhere.  Canada has a large number of people that have received one shot of AZ but cannot get the second because AZ can no longer be exported from India and Europe has none to spare either.  So Canada will have to give them another vaccine as the second shot.  Let's hope the local AZ supply will come on time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Arkady said:

So Canada will have to give them another vaccine as the second shot. 

Is that wise? I expected it will have to be the same type,  doubt there have been any trials of mixed vaccines.

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

You may wish to re-read my post, I said nothing about the issues being the same as the EU.

There were ramp-up (and thus delivery) problems with one of the EU factories which is what kicked off the whole anti-Az thing in the EU.

Anyway we are where we are, waiting for a jab.

• Like 1