Not again! Phuket Sandbox tourists being gouged by taxis - one way rides 1,000 baht+

webfact

I've lived here that long everyday I expect someone somewhere to try and rip me off, And I speak Thai.

I think in the gas station last week had me over for 100 baht, I could tell by the gauge when I drove off,  I know my fault I should have got out and stand there

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

"You can take a boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy".  Or "you can't teach an old new tricks".  Same, same but not different.  Welcome back to the Land of Smiles.  

What are you talking about the country, it happens in Phuket all the time. Not in most of the country.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 2

What are you talking about the country, it happens in Phuket all the time. Not in most of the country.

Edited 2 hours ago by FritsSikkink

I guess if you have never been to the American South this quote would not have any meaning to you.  My apologies.  

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Others chipped in with tales of 800 baht (to Patong), 900 baht (to Karon) and even 1,350 baht rides. The last of these was one way from the airport to Kata Noi that the poster said would normally be 600 baht. 

These are normal prices, they have been charging this for ages already. 

You could also take a taxi with a meter, but it will end up at about the same price as the fee per km is much higher than in BKK or other places (and those fees are set by the government). 

This is what it costs in Phuket, now, next year, and 10 years ago. They can keep whining about it forever, or just rent a car near the airport (700-1000 per day).