Thailand reports 25,164 new COVID-19 cases, 80 deaths, 24,770 recoveries

webfact

COV23.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Wednesday (March 23) reported 25,164 new COVID-19 cases, 24,770 recoveries and 80 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Wednesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 3,423,956 with 24,497 deaths.

The news comes as according to statistics published by the World Health Origination, Thailand now ranks thirty-four on the World table with 166,520 cases reported up to Monday March 20th.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update23MAR).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-23

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Phuket marks 296 new COVID cases, two more deaths

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 296 new local infections confirmed across the island yesterday (Mar 22), bringing the total number of infections recorded since Jan 1 to 44,079.

Image: PPHO

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-296-new-covid-cases-two-more-deaths-83538.php

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, edwinchester said:

Wonder if you were unlucky enough to pick up a case of the Delta variant instead of Omicron?

Who knows,but there is that possibility.  A test can not tell unless it is sent to a lab for a reason to be checked for the specific variant.  We tested at home and have stayed in ever since.

51 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Who knows,but there is that possibility.  A test can not tell unless it is sent to a lab for a reason to be checked for the specific variant.  We tested at home and have stayed in ever since.

The symptoms strongly indicate Delta. 

What about your girlfriend's symptoms- from onset until now?

Edited by mommysboy

20 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Possibly however according to the Zoe app which tracks the symptoms of millions of people in the UK 1 in 5 are still experiencing loss of taste and smell.

"Interestingly, we've seen loss of smell and taste become much less common. It was in the top 10 symptoms earlier in 2021, and now it's ranking at 17, with only 1 in 5 people experiencing it."

https://joinzoe.com/learn/omicron-symptoms

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

If you have recently been boosted I would have thought the breakthrough would have been more likely with Omicron than Delta.

I had a friend in the UK who felt bad for 12 days, still tested positive for 22 on an ATK! It affects different people in different ways. But I can imagine you are feeling low thinking why me? Hang in there, you will be fine soon.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

She had a higher fever, major upper sinus issues, headache, nausea, and a little dizziness brain fog.  Today day 10 she just has a little nausea and chest congestion which is being assisted by taking the D-Coate.

1 minute ago, sungod said:

If you have recently been boosted I would have thought the breakthrough would have been more likely with Omicron than Delta.

I had a friend in the UK who felt bad for 12 days, still tested positive for 22 on an ATK! It affects different people in different ways. But I can imagine you are feeling low thinking why me? Hang in there, you will be fine soon.

I was boosted on the 19th of January in the US. and this hit us on the 14th of March, 16 days after I had returned from the US.  Definitely picked it up here as my day 1 PCR was negative, then my day 5 also negative.  I always test on Mondays just out of habit and the test on 7th, which was day 9 was also negative, however the next week we were feeling low after a Saturday visit to a hospital for her WP physical as I discussed back then.  I am thinking it might be the BA.2, but who knows, all I know is I am far from heading to the hospital, just staying at home until we take another test here in 4 days to see if the viral load is gone and no mark on the T of the ATK tests.  It appears that even being as safe as we have been the stealth variant was pretty stealthy.......My view anyway.  Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

#Chonburi announces 1,434 new and confirmed cases of Covid-19 and three new deaths. Combined with ATK, Chonburi hit a new record high today of 7,582 cases. However, 99.621 percent are asymptomatic or mild.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/03/23/chonburi-announces-1434-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-and-three-new-deaths-2/

277219340_345072684327743_7495301316584082547_n.jpg

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

She had a higher fever, major upper sinus issues, headache, nausea, and a little dizziness brain fog.  Today day 10 she just has a little nausea and chest congestion which is being assisted by taking the D-Coate.

3 people I know (last 3 weeks) who were all over 60 and tested ATK positive had very mild cold like symptoms that lasted no more than a few days, 2 other similar people ATK negative had a similar experience, 1 person who tested ATK negative the tested again 2 days later ATK Positive - same, a farang and his Thai GF the latter cosistantly tested ATK negative had symptoms, the farang who had no symptoms consistently tested positive - both rightly assumed they had omicron.

all of the above people had very mild symptoms or none at all, what is going on with you and GF is very strange indeed, I would tend to agree that it does not sound like omicron, I wonder is there a flu knocking around and you have infected each other with both - not impossible

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, anchadian said:

#Chonburi announces 1,434 new and confirmed cases of Covid-19 and three new deaths. Combined with ATK, Chonburi hit a new record high today of 7,582 cases. However, 99.621 percent are asymptomatic or mild.

As of March 21, MoPH said Chonburi province had 39 COVID cases hospitalized in serious condition with pneumonia type symptoms (ranked 9th highest in raw serious case numbers among the 77 provinces) And they were using about 39% of their available COVID hospital beds in the province.

• Thanks 1

Am I reading/translating this right?

MoPH seems to be saying they're now allowing fourth shots (2nd booster of Pfizer) at the Bang Sue Central Vaccination Center in BKK for people who previously had two AZ shots plus a Pfizer or Moderna booster at least 120 day prior???

And shortening the waiting time for 3rd shot booster doses for pretty much all prior vaccine combos to only 90 days after the prior 2nd shot vaccination?

1405942813_2022-03-23vaxpolicyupdate.thumb.jpg.fe7042fefec4bdca43f4051d381f670f.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/527420905542905

Translation of the announcement posted earlier today:

Bang Sue Central Vaccination Center adjusting the spacing of the booster vaccine
For people aged 12 years and over according to the announcement of the Ministry of Public Health

Needle 3
It was the one who injected the Pfizer-Pfizer (PP) formula.
or AstraZeneca - Pfizer (AP)
or Moderna - Moderna (MM)
or AstraZeneca - Moderna (AM)
by receiving the second dose for at least 90 days

(Children aged 12-18 years have received the 2nd dose for at least 120 days and given normal dosage)

4th needle
He is a person who has had 2 AstraZeneca injections.
and get the 3rd needle
It's the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine (AAP/AAM).
at least 120 days ago

Previous injections came from all injection centers across the country.
Can Walk-in without registration to receive the booster vaccination

Pfizer vaccine, purple cap
at the vaccination center in the center of Bang Sue
Gate 2 every day from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Open until 6 Apr 65
The center will be closed during Songkran, 7-17 April 65
Will open for service again on April 18, 65

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

MoPH's update today of the past two week trends for (from left to right on the chart) serious COVID hospitalizations, intubations, new daily deaths and 14-day average for daily new infections:

(everything is up comparing now vs two weeks prior, March 10-23)

1577320983_TwoWeekTrends2022-03-23.jpg.ea649cc3b3c7b990eed7a25be31d5f61.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106142991004034/527466162205046/?type=3

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately, and ironically, both of you likely have very robust immune systems and the resultant gallons of mucous secretions your body pumped out causes inflammation and mucous build up.  It's somewhat like having a flooded house.  A field day for bacteria too.  

There is a case for anti-inflammatories. anti-histamines, and possibly even an antibiotic.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today's MoPH recap of the 80 newly reported COVID deaths:

--42 males, 38 females

--78 Thais, 1 Vietnamese, 1 unknown

--Median age of 72, with range between 2 months and 95 years.

--59 (74%) of the deaths were ages 60 or older

--15 (19%) of the deaths had chronic conditions but were under age 60

--6 (7%) were under age 60 with no known chronic conditions

Among the 77 provinces, Bangkok had the most new COVID deaths with 12.

2022-03-23.jpg.3a1620a811173ef2bcb209d6f8a7a843.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106142991004034/527466342205028/?type=3

MoPH reported today that Bangkok province crossed the 200 mark (201) for COVID patients hospitalized in serious condition on Tuesday (up from 196 the day before), though it claimed only about 30% of the province's hospital beds suitable for COVID cases are being used.

The chart below ranks Thailand's top 10 provinces based on numbers of serious COVID cases in hospital as of Tuesday, along with each province's occupancy rate for COVID-suitable hospital beds.

479053250_2022-03-23COVIDpneumoniahospitalizationsrankedprovince.jpg.d02f5cbbf1c097bf5f704b3e2b4593ad.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106142991004034/527465772205085/?type=3

6 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Wonder if you were unlucky enough to pick up a case of the Delta variant instead of Omicron?

I have been saying for several weeks now, that IMO, Delta has not finished within the Population.

Its all too easy to produce another Chart and erroneous Numbers when a new Variant suddenly appears which is less virulent that Delta.

Delta just seemed to fall off to about 5 % of cases within a week or so of the Omicron variant being seen in Thailand for the first time.

And this was just 3 weeks after being reported as 40 % of all cases, prior to Omicron

Surely Delta did not give up that quickly

The sad fatality rate going higher is just not a reflection upon the lack of Vaccinations among the Elderly for sure..

Or ! Are we experiencing the new " Deltacron Variant "

I dont profess to be any kind of expert on this subject, but things are not what we seeing and being told.

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Day 10 of being down with Covid and I am still in a brain fog with nausea and minor symptoms, but the loss of my smell and taste is the worst.  The GF is still feeling spacey as well with a lot of congestion.  This may be mild but it is lasting way to long for us compared to others.........

Hi Ryan. It is strange how this affects people differently. I brought Covid home and infected my healthy (non smoker or drinker)26 YO Thai girlfriend who had 1 Sinovac & 1 AZ and she had exactly the same symptoms as you have described yourself and girlfriend are feeling, which lasted 7/8 days.

Myself, a 54 YO (smoker and drinker)type 1 Diabetic of 37 years who recieved 2x UK AZ and a Phizer booster, suffered from a runny nose on one side for 3 days with no

other symptoms.

I hope you and the girlfriend are back to good health very soon.

• Thanks 1