Annoying foreign beggar raking in 2-3,000 baht a day in Chatuchak, Bangkok

webfact

There is a disabled beggar in lower Sukhumvit.  I surprisingly saw him walking down the street one day. He pulled up his pant legs and took off a prosthetic extension and hid it in some bushes.  Then, got into his begging position.   The guy is disabled but I am just saying, he seemed to walk OK with the prosthetic so...

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kevin612 said:

Fake beggars are everywhere, this is why I stopped hang out my money.

sad but often true. look to help in other ways, offer to buy a meal and/or for overnight accommodation as an opportunity to get themselves cleaned up. i have done both.

donations to charities are aneffective way of helping those truly in need, for example Shelter in the uk. i'm not sure if such charitable organisations exist in thailand, i'm sure they do but they dont have a high profile.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tonray said:

competing for donations with a guy with no legs who drags himself in the hot sun on a  piece of cardboard all day to survive

I saw a Thai chap sprawled on the centre of a pavement in the centre of Bangkok once, I think he probably had some of his legs missing.  I gave him 20 Baht, of course.  Walked on a little to see he had his crutches stashed under the stairs of an overpass.

I'm not saying these people aren't hard up, but the dragging around on cardboard in the hot sun is quite possible a ruse used deliberately to attract more donations.  Plenty of Thai beggars choose to sit in one place out of the sun and many Thai people are generally quite generous to the homeless if they need something to eat.

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

I saw a Thai chap sprawled on the centre of a pavement in the centre of Bangkok once, I think he probably had some of his legs missing.  I gave him 20 Baht, of course.  Walked on a little to see he had his crutches stashed under the stairs of an overpass.

I'm not saying these people aren't hard up, but the dragging around on cardboard in the hot sun is quite possible a ruse used deliberately to attract more donations.  Plenty of Thai beggars choose to sit in one place out of the sun and many Thai people are generally quite generous to the homeless if they need something to eat.

Some of his legs missing....wow!!

• Haha 1

If he's really a foreigner, immigration should arrest and deport him.

Begging is a type of working and that is not allowed in Thailand for foreigners on non work permit.

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

He had no legs and rags on his hands to protect them from the asphalt as he propelled himself..are you kidding me ?

30 minutes ago, tonray said:

He had no legs and rags on his hands to protect them from the asphalt as he propelled himself..are you kidding me ?

Are you saying you believe it to be totally impossible that his condition could be better than it appears and he deliberately performs this (or some elements of it) to increase the likelihood of receiving donations?

I gave a personal example of experiencing this.  I'm sure other people have experienced it also.  You sound a little naïve to not even allow it as a possibility.

Obviously if you see him all throughout the day and you know that he lives like this 24/7, that's a somewhat different story.

Edited by BangkokReady

Before I moved to Thailand, now more that 20 years ago, there was a reportage on TV about an Englishman who was performing twice a day a monocycle act in front of the Cathedral in Antwerp (Belgium).

In that reportage, they asked him if he would give a hint on how much he earned a day.
His answer was about 5,000 baht/day on weekdays and up to 10,000 baht/day in the weekend and holidays.
1 baht equals about 1 Belgian frank at that time.

Compared to a normal wage of 35,000 BFR/month. he was making a lot of money.

17 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Haha.  Yeah, he only had about three left...  :cheesy:

What was I going for there?  Maybe "some his leg" and "one of his legs" got a bit mixed up.

Good spot!

Your post was all the better for it.....555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/16/2022 at 6:41 PM, bkk6060 said:

took off a prosthetic extension and hid it in some bushes.  Then, got into his begging position.   The guy is disabled but I am just saying, he seemed to walk OK with the prosthetic so...

So... you went back to the bush, took the leg, and sold it? 

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2022 at 9:34 AM, RandiRona said:

begpacking, where western foreigners from wealthy countries, come to Thailand and expect Thai people to pay for their holidays is both ignorance and in nearly all cases, illegal.

"...in nearly all cases, illegal..."

When are cases of foreigners (or any nationality, come to that) begging legal, as your post suggests?   

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 5:16 PM, LarrySR said:

Hundreds of pitiful looking beggars (mostly imported Cambodians) are deployed all over the city every morning by the BMA & Police

"...beggars (mostly imported Cambodians) are deployed all over the city every morning by the BMA & Police"

You're claiming that the BMA and RTP are putting them there?  What basis do you have for that assertion?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...beggars (mostly imported Cambodians) are deployed all over the city every morning by the BMA & Police"

You're claiming that the BMA and RTP are putting them there?  What basis do you have for that assertion?

It's common knowledge Lou.

Go ahead and put a few of your own begging crew out there at 7AM some morning and see who chases them off.