a long night

jvs

57 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Since private development, not sure if applicable, but at our house build, after we started building, a guy purchased the small lot next to us, and started raising chickens, and it stunk.   Wife got puyaibon, district & pollution control involved, and he was shut down, had to clean up, and cover his lot with new dirt.   

Pretty obvious it was only a ploy to get us to buy him out at an overpriced, nice profit for him.  Now he's stuck trying to sell at silly price, so we know we won't have any neighbors on that side of us for decades.   As you can buy a rai elsewhere for what he wants to sell 60TW at ????

Interesting … tks

• Like 2

The noise problem - that never bothers any Thai - is one of the main problems for non-Thais.  All the other MickeyMouse problems we are reading here so often are nothing against that.  But it hardly can be done anything against that, just to move away, very far from noise. 

And it should be the very first precaution when looking for a place to live.

• Thanks 1

Placing big speakers in their direction at 7 a.m.will just bring me down to their level and

i am sure the other neighbours will not enjoy it either.

Joining them is no option because the noise from that distance already makes my head spin.

Moving is also no option for a few reasons.

The same house just over a year ago had a kid living there with a very noisy motorbike and he would

go up and down the soi numerous times per day at full speed.

I thought ,'one of these days he will wipe out and it will be quit.

That day came last year we heard him start his bike and he came our way revving the hell out of the bike,then.............quiet.He wiped out .Job done.

Just maybe they will get so drunk one day they will decide to shoot each other,does it make me a bad guy to hope for that?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, itsari said:

i remember a house i was staying in for a few nights in Paddington Sydney Australia , A party was in full swing one night in a house three down . Extreme amount of noise that the whole street could hear 

In the morning all was still from the house when a neighbour turned up there music machine to a high level waking up the revelers . I could see they were complaining bitterly that the music was waking them up  but the music continued . 

I think that is karma in action 

Rent a speaker vehicle and play Good Morning Vietnam, Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and the finale of the 1812 Overture at full power. rinse and repeat every 15 minutes to a rousing chorus of "Som Nam Na".

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Understand not wanting noise at night but it is a friday night after another week in the hell we call Covid so perhaps really do not need everyone to be a quiet church mouse?  Better than 'shots fired' we often see reported other places.  Perhaps take cheap action to limit the noise?

Ear Plugs 3M รุ่น 1100 แพ็ค 1คู่ กันเสียงดัง โฟมอุดหู โฟมลดเสียง | Shopee  Thailand

A quote from 'Allo Allo by Rene.

He’s a very bad pianist, but when my wife sings, nobody notices. The customers stuff cheese in their ears.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Understand not wanting noise at night but it is a friday night after another week in the hell we call Covid so perhaps really do not need everyone to be a quiet church mouse?  Better than 'shots fired' we often see reported other places.  Perhaps take cheap action to limit the noise?

Ear Plugs 3M รุ่น 1100 แพ็ค 1คู่ กันเสียงดัง โฟมอุดหู โฟมลดเสียง | Shopee  Thailand

Yes, just trim down a bit, works well. 

I use them when away working, accommodation can be noisy at times. 

I suggest 3 possibilities:

1. Buy yourself the best noise cancelling headphones you can get with emphasis on the cancelling function. Wear them without signal input but switch them on of course. This works already quite well. Be aware that this is expensive but you get a usually quite acceptable headphone on top. You must get used to wearing them (In ear small cheap speakers are questionable, would maybe a waste of money).

2. Get the following. I know they are sold in Switzerland, but maybe you may get hold of some online. These will really stop any noise almost completely. Very much more better than the reusable ones made of polyurethane. Dont believe the description that they are only for one time use. Rubbish. A friend of mine shipped some to me and they lasted months.

image.thumb.jpeg.4651094435315e909b0a3d2485ee9402.jpeg

3. See your hospital for sleep supporting medicine as a last resort. I tried histamines but they do not work for me. Neither does Melatonin. Hence you might need a bit more serious stuff which you only can get prescribed by a doctor.

Low loud frequency noise is difficult to eliminate exept by method 3 listed above.

If this all does not help - move.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

On a different problem, but at least as annoying.

We live in a gated community and our house is on the front road. In the Soi,one house down from us an old woman lives who breeds cats. That house backs onto the side of ours. Her front garden looks and smells like a refuse tip.

Sometimes the stink is really bad. So frequently we cannot use the patio on that side of our house. And we get a lot of cat poo in our garden.

My wife is on the Village Committee, she says several complain about the smell but there doesn’t seem to be much that can be done.

Someone mentioned that a saucer of antifreeze can get rid of the smell but I don’t see how.

The cats drink the antifreeze because it's sweet? Be sure not to buy the newer non-toxic antifteeze though.

Just kidding (kinda).

A large gathering making a lot of noise? The police might be interested in shutting it down.

Living across from the new train station in Bangkok, where over a hundred tuk-tuks would wake us up around 06:00 we didn't get much sleep because the bars in front of our building. Complaining to the police, they told us to call them if it was too loud after 02:00 (AM). It worked many times as we were able get over 3 hours of sleep each night!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Someone mentioned that a saucer of antifreeze can get rid of the smell but I don’t see how.

Ethylene glycol is poisonous to cats and dogs. They can't resist it because it tastes good.

Cats are more sensitive, half a  teaspoon of EG is enough to kill them.

It's a bit of a leg-pull.

Edited by Lacessit

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Is that a guess or you can publish the number? 300,000 for a Rai is being asked in Sisaket.

Not a guess, as know exactly what he paid for it, what it's worth, and what he is selling it for.

300k for a rai wherever is irrelevant, as location location location.

The price of a rai where we are, vs 4 kms east, probably 50 million, vs 5 kms west, maybe half the price where we are now ????

East would be surfside if wondering why.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JAS21 said:

May I suggest that when you or your wife take a dump, "respectfully" toss it over her fence, I would think sooner or later the cats might go elsewhere, I certainly wouldn't hesitate, that said, I have no neighbours across the road, behind me, or on either side of me, and as soon as I hear that land on either side of me and behind is available, it will have my wife's name on it as we don't want neighbours too close to us. Music in festive times is bearable, we can sleep, any closer, I think not.

6 hours ago, JAS21 said:

On a different problem, but at least as annoying.

We live in a gated community and our house is on the front road. In the Soi,one house down from us an old woman lives who breeds cats. That house backs onto the side of ours. Her front garden looks and smells like a refuse tip.

Sometimes the stink is really bad. So frequently we cannot use the patio on that side of our house. And we get a lot of cat poo in our garden.

My wife is on the Village Committee, she says several complain about the smell but there doesn’t seem to be much that can be done.

If the cats drink the antifreeze I don’t think you will have any more problems, as it’s lethal to cats and dogs.

10 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Welcome to the Land of Noise.

Thais love noise and there is nothing you can do about it.

A shame.

Decades ago I bumped into an old friend in Bangkapi Mall, BKK. I struggled to communicate due to the competing noise coming at high volume from all quarters and, exasperated, shouted "I don't understand how Thais can out up with this noise" My friend looked at me and replied "You don't understand Peter, it doesn't bother them" In that instant I realised I had been looking at the problem the wrong way for years. Next time you're in that situation just look at the faces of the locals to understand.

Invest in a gel earplugs (can get them from Boots n a lot of other pharmacies) and eye mask to keep out the light and you'll sleep like a baby. The gel plugs are extremely efficient noise blockers and will normally stay in the ears all night. You'lI have to use new ones after 30 or 40 uses as they loose their stickability.

I've used them for years and years and they absolutely work. Great for flying too, always in my flight-kit as they kill all the engine noise adnya sleep like a baby.

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

If the cats drink the antifreeze I don’t think you will have any more problems, as it’s lethal to cats and dogs.

O I wouldn’t want to hurt them. It’s not their fault, it’s the dirty cow who breeds them. One with a big tummy has just strolled through our garden… pleased it didn’t stop for #### or a ####

8 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

I am able to sleep in horrific situations like that.

I put virgin coconut oil in my ears, then push the oil as far as it can go in my ears with a Scott tissue.

Push the tissue in your ears, until it is stuck inside, and you will see the decibel level diminish.

Then this might also decrease the level of frustration, since you have done something about it.

Sleep well.

Works for me...

That seems to be a key point "...I have done something about it."

You have taken action instead of impotently  complaining on an internet forum like the rest of us.

We ended up building a house far from others on a big plot of land.  It was my wifes idea.

I wanted to build closer on the main road close to the night market on another plot of land we have.

I'm so glad we did build farther away.  I hear the faint noise of the parties, 3 day funerals, night markets blaring music,etc.

I also wonder about the other families who never complain.

In any case its good to have a buffer zone if possible.

Hopefully the party is ending soon and you can catch up on your rest.

19 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Wagber Ride of the Valkeries is better

as a german used to being blamed for anything people usually consider german i really enjoy the misspelling as i am convinced he was quite a bit of a wagbear

as for the noise rant: there are worse things than that

i would not do anything in "revenge" or provoke on purpose - it will pass

how could they understand you are fighting against having fun? - i am not joking

on the other hand the relaxed attitude allows me to turn up the music i like without people complaining or overreact. in germany the neighbour may call the police in less than half an hour on little loudness during the daytime (let alone after midnight). there are people moving from downtown to the countryside and pushing lawsuits against rooster shouts, cow sounds and churchbells.