Thai Government to Close Duty-Free Arrival Stores After Losing 3 Billion Baht

snoop1130

34 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I'm too trying to get my head around the resional of closing stores in order to save money, so what now? Thailand will

not have duty free shops anymore?...

Maybe the duty free prices were just too much.... but then again aren't they always located airside in departures, or does Thailand also have arrivals duty free shops?

Not sure how closing them will spread tourists money more widely?

They've already bought what they want during the holiday at cheaper outlets.

Not sure how the Thai suppliers to duty free shops will take this loss in revenue?

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe the duty free prices were just too much.... but then again aren't they always located airside in departures, or does Thailand also have arrivals duty free shops?

Not sure how closing them will spread tourists money more widely?

They've already bought what they want during the holiday at cheaper outlets.

Not sure how the Thai suppliers to duty free shops will take this loss in revenue?

I think they assume that if the passenger can not get it cheap at a duty-free store. Then they will pay outrageous prices in one of the bigger cities at a retail outlet. 

Given that tourism only recently began to boom. I do not see why the duty-free stores don't wait it out to begin showing profits again. Covid and international travel must have hurt their businesses quite alot and it will take time to recover from years of bad air traffic. 

I thought bragging to your mates that you bought something duty-free died in the early 90's.

Nowadays only virgin (not the airline, but in the Biblical sense) flyers are intoxicated by the bright lights of the glitzy brand name shops and are happy to be parted from their money. 

Coincidentally, virgin flyers also enjoy airline food.:coffee1:

• Confused 3

Even as a tourist, Never had the time or inclination to mooch around those stores on arrival. Just get your stamp and bag and get out of there. Guess it might appeal to dry countries. Going out, bar cigs for people, just get ‘home’ and buy same price or cheaper. Duty free, my A!

Edited by daveAustin
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

All thanks to greed, nothing less or more. If they actually sold the booze and cigs for significant less, or nice parfums etc, I'd been in the market at least a dozen times over the years, if not every time for a box of cigs. Yet they still don't get it somehow, hence it is closed.....

Sometimes it makes me think the matrix is real and someone is mind<deleted>ing me all day long. Repeatedly. I mean you would think that one of the thousands of employees in that free duty alone, would maybe travel around the world or continent, to compare prices, to start with, at least....

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Passengers arriving after long flights often bring articles bought from their departing aiport Duty Free. They have no interest in browsing Arrival Duty Free they just want to get to their final local destination and relax.

Of course, King Power will continue to run Departure Duty Free, that's whete the sales are profitable.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, freeworld said:

Why not? If it is not profitable then they should close it down. Nothing wrong with them assuming that arriving passengers will use that money in the wider economy inside Thailand.

Anyway, always noticed hardly anyone buying stuff in the arrival duty free.

Exactly, if they close it's because they are not selling anything. I only buy there when I arrive on an alcohol free day or after midnight. Don't want to go without a few drinks after a stressful flight.

The booze there is just a few Baht cheaper than outside anyway. 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

It found out that the move would likely increase spending by foreign tourists and spread income more evenly. Each foreign tourist is projected to spend an extra 570 baht per person yearly should the duty-free shops close.

Can anyone explain then how the drinks industry - or tourism revenue - will benefit if tourists cannot buy it in duty-free and be banned from entering departures with it if bought elsewhere ? Get rid of the stupid fluid on a plane nonsense and you may have something

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Can anyone explain then how the drinks industry - or tourism revenue - will benefit if tourists cannot buy it in duty-free and be banned from entering departures with it if bought elsewhere? Get rid of the stupid fluid on a nonsense plane and you may have something

Think you missed the headlines, “Thai Government to Close Duty-Free Arrival Stores After Losing 3 Billion Baht”, this is only the shops in arrivals not departures.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Agree 1

If they lose money, it makes sense to close the arrival duty free shops, but tourists planning to buy the stuff on arrival, might be disappointed, if they don't know id advance that they shall shop their duty free before departure. However, the difference might not be that huge, many products are quite expensive in the duty free shops. I remember when I was comparing Thai spirits in BKKs duty free store with prices in domestic 7-Elevens, the latter was about half price...:whistling:

• Confused 1

Most people have purchased there duty free before they arrive in Thailand I would have though when they are departing Thailand is when they would use it .you could reduce the debt by stricter control over stock if you have 3 billion in stock over all the duty free shops your not in debt as it’s part of your unsold stock 

• Confused 1