For those of you who have lived here for years?

3 minutes ago, 2baht said:

They obviously don't sound like the types I would care to mix with!

I haven't told you about them... why would you say that? Based on nothing - what do they sound like? 

22 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Used a condom with Bua from Patpong. 

Patpong, totally out of the picture, but yeah Bua from Queen' s castle 2 was infamous. Would be in her sixties now  if she is still alive. 

Advice for a new expat coming to Thailand would be if you are not open minded and can accept difference easily then don't bother. Every country has some things which are different from your home country. If you cant accept them don't stay. If you do stay accept life is different but not bad, in fact I would say life here is excellent.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I think I would have gotten more involved in the community and bought condos when they were cheaper as investment.

That is a fear point, and there is one specific appartment I almost regret I did not buy, but what I got in Isan for 1,5 mill, makes it feel a bit better. If we still together after 20 years, it will be a good and cheap investment with the additional land plots I paid for, she bought in her name to be correct

1 hour ago, frank83628 said:

It would explain some comments in various other threads. I'm guessing you are that age too.

I have corrected your spelling and grammar, it's an old age thing...........🤣

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, transam said:

It was.....?  :unsure:

Everyone is welcome to highlight theirs views, but the older we get, we might wanted to have done different in life, based on the experience of being older in Thailand. 

A guy in 60ies, might not even see themselves at 75 when first moving to Thailand with eyes for ladies only and thai fever

Edited by Hummin

4 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

If you have the money take out a Health/ Hospital Insurance policy with a reputable company like Allianz/Ayudhya before you are 65 years old.

Valid point,  solid economy makes a whole difference

Came here in 1966 and retired some years ago. The one thing I would have done differently is plan better for retirement finances as I get no UK pension as left too  long ago and worked on contract basis with no golden handshake at the end of those contracts. Nightlife is long a thing of the past and a quiet life suits me even if I have to be frugal with an allowance from a half Thai daughter. Divorced many years ago but a single life at my age is not so bad as I have all the comforts of nice house, car and toys.

51 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

of course I have, senators etc.. lovely people - - have gone on many missions of helping poor and disenfranchised ... and yet we still spoke in Thai... mostly. 

Another thing is those farang that are fluent in thai of which there are few, many claim to be fluent but aren't really, anyway they are total bores, won't miss an opportunity to try and teach other people words although no one is really interested

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2024 at 8:31 AM, Hummin said:

For those of you who have lived here for years, and above 75 years old. What would you have done differently? 

You'll however have to wait for my excellent input a few month more, till I reach 75 and can post my advise the following day...:whistling:

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, khunPer said:

You'll however have to wait for my excellent input a few month more, till I reach 75 and can post my advise the following day...:whistling:

you are qualified for sharing your advised, experiences and your opionion Per, more than welcome 😄

Edited by Hummin

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sometimes the same IO tells me something different the next time I encounter them.

That does not surprise me at all.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

For you maybe, I can understand that.

The UK can be a great place to live if you have the resources.................the weather and the cheap sex edges it for Thailand.

Yes as long as you have plenty of resources, and in most cases not of retirement age as you may then have to choose between eating and heating your home.

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

If you have the money take out a Health/ Hospital Insurance policy with a reputable company like Allianz/Ayudhya before you are 65 years old.

You would need plenty of money and take the chance that the insurance company does not up your cost dramatically or even just stop your insurance when you get to seventy.

5 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Yes as long as you have plenty of resources, and in most cases not of retirement age as you may then have to choose between eating and heating your home.

Or buy a jacket?

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

That would give me little confidence they would pay out when needed, and even more likely premiums become unaffordable when in 70s

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

5,000 baht to 10,000 baht rentals...       living it up, eh...    :whistling:

I find it very interesting how some expats can live in a tiny room and call it home. I am sure they do not live that way back home. It seems that many expats cannot afford to live in Thailand in upscale buildings.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

I would never have come here because of such ch**t**g, ly**g, c***s .......    

why would you ever live in a place where you can't even communicate is beyond me ...

Communication becomes a problem when you are here long term. It's worrying me quite a bit because I'm not picking up the language. I'm not comfortable settling somewhere permanently without being able to talk. That's a big reason why I'm considering Mexico. I know guys who have learned spanish pretty quickly. I also think the Mexicans are more open to helping foreigners learn the language in dat to day interactions. In Thailand it feels more like a secret to be able to learn it. Like a pride thing that's only for Thai's.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Age, 72, married to a Thai, been here 14 years and live in Pattaya.  There's not too much I would do differently.  We started on the beach in Rayong and, in a do-over, we should have settled directly in Pattaya from the get-go.  After living here about 3 years, we sold our condo in America, no regrets on that except we should have held it longer, but we needed money to buy more property here.   

As others have said, I, too, haven't felt the need to learn Thai, which is good since I am awful with foreign languages.  Moving to Thailand, I would say only bring things you  can't replace, things that have meaning  that you want with you.   I should have brought more of that and fewer clothes.

Once here, I would take some time and try to get signed up to the best health care plan you can, at the most reasonable cost.  I should have done more research before I signed up with both the plan I have and the health care company.  I initially had hospitalization and outpatient but I have switched to just hospitalization as outpatient costs are so reasonable here.   I now know there are cheaper alternatives but I have been with the company so long now that, at my age, I am sticking with it.

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Back home in the UK it's too wet/windy/cold to go out most of the year, so you need more room. Here in Thailand the weather is great year round, so you can sit outside or wander around, and only really need space to sleep at night.

I'm always impressed at the number of foreigners that never understand that.

That is also dependent on where we live of course...  much of Thailand is way too hot and humid for many months of the year for sitting outside to be enjoyable.

I'd argue similar space is needed for opposing reasons - in the UK its too wet / windy / cold... in Thailand its too hot and humid...    its nice to have space to swing a cat in either environment. 

• Agree 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

That is also dependent on where we live of course...  much of Thailand is way too hot and humid for many months of the year for sitting outside to be enjoyable.

I'd argue similar space is needed for opposing reasons - in the UK its too wet / windy / cold... in Thailand its too hot and humid...    its nice to have space to swing a cat in either environment. 

Not for all. Even in April when hot you can sit under a tree at the beach.

• Thumbs Up 1