Hundreds of angry macaques stop traffic as they fight for food in Lopburi

webfact

Untitled-1.jpg

Picture: Facebook Wisrut Suwanphak

Remarkable footage shows the moment rival gangs of macaques fight off for food in Lopburi, bringing traffic to a standstill.

Motorists had to wait in their vehicles for up to four minutes while the macaques brawled at a busy junction.

The video was posted by Facebook user Wisrut Suwanphak on July 25 and has since gone viral.

Lopburi is of course well known for its population of macaques, thousands of which roam the city freely and are typically a tourist attraction.

However, with the lack of tourists due to the pandemic, the macaques are going hungry because there are no tourists to feed them.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-27

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, internationalism said:

there suppose to be moved back to jungle

Apparently they did some time back but the tourist business faulted and the shop owners complained - so what did they do , brought the disease ridden pests back again - only in Thailand ,  the hub of money....

• Like 1

Actually there is a big shortage of these type of macaque monkeys for Covid vaccines and other research.

They are very valuable in the right hands maybe corral them and send them off to a place that cares about developing proper vaccines to save human lives. 

The US government is investing heavily to breed more monkeys at the national facilities that house primates for biomedical research, Nature has learnt. The goal is to offset an ongoing shortage of these animals, which grew worse in 2020 as scientists tested scores of COVID-19 vaccines and treatments on primates before trials began in people.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Actually there is a big shortage of these type of macaque monkeys for Covid vaccines and other research.

They are very valuable in the right hands maybe corral them and send them off to a place that cares about developing proper vaccines to save human lives. 

The US government is investing heavily to breed more monkeys at the national facilities that house primates for biomedical research, Nature has learnt. The goal is to offset an ongoing shortage of these animals, which grew worse in 2020 as scientists tested scores of COVID-19 vaccines and treatments on primates before trials began in people.

I would rather some of the old grumpy sex pat farangs are used to test the vaccines than the native wildlife. 

• Haha 2

Had friends back in my home country that saw this article in the news and few emails from them asking if I had monkey problems in my area!  Some even commented it "was disturbing."  My take it is no worse than two political parties going at it, probably a lot more civil.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, kickstart said:

Does ASEN now use the same calculators  as TOT ,when counting things , or they staff worked for the UK's red tops newspapers.

Having lived in this area for a few years now ,I can say they are not thousands of macaques in Lopburi ,a few hundred yes .

And why is it when you read something you know about it is often wrong.

Reason would be that, reporting that "there are a few hundred macaques roaming the streets of Lopburi", would probably just get a shrug of the shoulders, whereas "thousands" would likely produce a "Wow!" or two.  It's all about grabbing the readers attention, truth doesn't really matter, as we all know.

• Like 1