Gated community abandoned homes - who's reponsible?

There's an abandoned home in our gated Land And House community, the owner ran away unable to meet the mortgage repayments. Now there's a notice from the bank on the front gate which I expect will never change. In the mean time whilst the public park areas are neatly maintained by gardeners, the abandoned house has been left with the vegetation to grow wild. In time to come it will become a hazard with overgrown trees, hedges and grassland.

My question is how is this kind of situation normally handled by the local gated community? The immediate neighbors will be at higher risk, but shouldn't the entire house estate management take care of such matters much like the public park areas?

41 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

but shouldn't the entire house estate management take care of such matters much like the public park areas?

It very much depends on the rules and regs of the management company.

From the view of maintaining the 'beauty' and the value of the development - yes.

In my limited experience, foreign run developments - what you suggest is true.

Where the management is a local 'profit making' enterprise - less likely.

Edited by Tropicalevo

Similar story here:

House opposite me became vacant about 3 years ago, young couple living there from new ( about 1 year ) couldn’t make the payments and the bank reclaimed.

The garden is becoming a jungle and a neighbour and myself would occasionally go inside and cut back the undergrowth, recently the Government Bank came, put a “ Do not enter “ sign and changed the padlock. The garden is full of trash ( some old gym equipment that the owners bought to sell ) and the garden + house is now being taken over by those “ creepers “ type plants. The bank have never entered the premises, to my knowledge, yet must have it listed for sale/rent as occasionally people do come and take a [quick] look from outside. The house is on a cul de sac of 6 houses so it is obvious when people are coming to view, most don’t get out of the car .

I am torn between the advantages of not having a neighbour ( more parking, no noise, other issues) or living next to an eyesore.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Denim said:

try to reach a sensible solution between the estate and the bank..

I suppose this would be the best approach since the previous owners no longer are responsible having lost the property to the bank lender. A shame really as the old owners kept the place very nice, they just ran out of cash in the current knockdowns and the house is now empty and going to ruin with the banks in charge.

I expect the immediate neighbors will just scale the walls and enter themselves sooner or later, as there will be no solution immediately forthcoming, to avoid the mess and hazard extending into their homes next door.

I imagine the property will be sold off at cheap price. How do you know the mortgage has been defaulted? My friend bought his house for cash, on a gated community, but has never lived there, has neglected it, left it deserted but hasn't defaulted on mortgage payments. Banks have departments especially for selling off such properties. They are keen to get rid of them. In my condo block the deserted condos were sold via blind auction via the local tax office I believe. People had bought for cash but had not paid taxes and maintenance fees etc.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

we have exactly a problem

like this occurring now in our small development where an angry old english guy has decided he won’t pay his CAM fees anymore ie Common Area Management fees and is in arrears around 500,000 so we have stopped maintaining garden outside his villa which he does now and also stopped garbage collection is about all we can do. he paid the previous 15 years to the management company but past 2 years ceased payment all the other owners are paying fortunately and maintaining development as many live here and some are rented out. 

we have handed everything over to

our lawyers and they have filed case in court for full amount plus standard interest 7 pct. they are confident after prior discussions with other legal people in phuket the judge will rule in our favour obviously it’s cost our group a reasonable amount to do this but we are all happy to go ahead.

a meeting between our lawyers and his lawyers ended up with his lawyer suggesting he pays or makes some offer to us and to continue paying as they explained to him their fees are going to be quite high also here created a precedence by paying previously under the purchase agreement CAM fees to the developer then when we changed to a management company. 

in the meantime he lives he we see him in restuarant and bars drinking most evenings.

he has restricted access to the development as we put in a security barrier during daytimes and he has no security pass or card to enter so he needs to get off his motor bike and go to push a button to open security access and the guard in the evenings will not open the barrier for him.

in the meantime he tries to sell his villa but it just look strange to real estate agents or prospective buyers about his access.

court hearing continuing now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, aussieinphuket said:

court hearing continuing now.

If possible can you update when the verdict comes out please - maybe even a separate thread?

I, and possibly others, would be interested to hear how the court rules on this :thumbsup:

(all be it I realise a ruling in one court is not necessarily transferable anywhere else)

My 2 cents,  like anywhere else the bank owns the property always has the reason the notice is on the gate put there by the bank like in any situation until the owner pays off the loan the register owner is the bank.

Being inside a development as noted what are the by laws of the development in Thailand from my experience many developments look good on the surface dig deeper which majority of buyers never dig or ask the question is looking over the books are to how much is being spent particular who isn't paying their fair share of the association each month. With developments requiring 51% ownership of Thais my experience is a good % aren't paying and the association good at sweeping beautification of the area but fail in applying their own rules. Sound familiar?  Thailand, full of rules and laws but very little enforcement.

While the place has been abandon it is still owned if the by-laws is strong and the place is well run internally the bank ( owner ) has the obligation to continue paying the monthly dues for upkeep if not the association should be strong enough to contact the bank and request payment if not paid put a judgement on the bank and property so when it is sold whatever past payment is recovered.

Meantime, if the association can request a current homeowner living in a property to straighten up there should be something to tell the bank to also shape up!  Majority of those on the board and bless them for their participation don't have a clue as to what is going on and allow the management company run the place to the ground even here in Thailand ownership has the power but don't know it the management company works for you.????

• Like 2

so gated communities are fine until someone stops paying their mortgage .....  then it becomes an eyesore for everyone.

Legally,  I think you'll find the estate management, community area management group or whoever looks after the parks, grass, common areas,  has no right or permission to enter or touch an abandon dwelling,  it's nothing to do with them .....   it's solely between the bank and the mortgagor.  

It's either owned by a bank or whoever is on the title. 

If the bank has repossessed the dwelling due to a failed mortgage it will simply advertise the place and try to sell it which can take years.  The banks have hundreds of abandon houses on their books and some don't get sold for 10-20 years.  

• Like 2

Coincidentally, in my case, a large tree adjacent to my property was brought down with the wind last night.The moobahn headman , who together with his small team trim all the trees in the common areas, had informed personal at the bank that the tree had a lot of movement and was hanging over 2 other properties.

3BB7815F-C536-45F3-8C99-5FBA0D44C97C.thumb.jpeg.e112c649635385a3de424fb01fa40830.jpeg

Luckily it has fallen away from my property and not appeared to have done any damage.

Will be interesting to see if the bank actually bother to clear this now. No signs of the squirrel that was living there though unfortunately .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am involved in this situation.  The previous GF did a runner due to being caught borrowing with no intent to repay.  I was left with the choice of paying her mortgage payments for her and staying in the building or simply leaving.

I left.

Since then the house has been empty and the grounds that were nice have gone to hell.  

There is noting anyone can legally do about it. There is also no way that they can hire someone to look after it and bill her because no one knows where she has gone, believe me I tried she owed me money.

Due to the pandemic banks have been told to lay off people owing and the Thai system for foreclosure is a very long one ( 2 years so far)

Until the bank sells it though auction there is nothing anyone can do and it is not in my best interest to fix it up,

(BTW if anyone in the PT area is looking for good cheap AC call me I have 3 for sale)

The condo knows that I have the keys but also knows that i only use it for storage at this point and have no legal attachment. Therefore while I used to pay the fees that also stopped.

• Like 1

This is one more reason, out of many, that I have made the decision to never buy or rent in a gated community.  Every one I have ever been in, including some that are very expensive, has abandoned and/or neglected properties.  They look nice when newly constructed, but many become high-priced slums after only a few years.

• Like 1

It's always a surprise to me that you see abandoned houses in nice developments.  My Thai partner's sister lives in a very nice gated community in Bangkok and there are at least 3 or 4 abandoned houses.  I asked him about them and he thinks most aren't banked-owned.  Rather, the owners are wealthy and just aren't using them.  Wealthy, but letting the weeds grow high.

In Pattaya, we were house-hunting and we visited a nice gated project and looked at a horrible property that looked abandoned.  Termite-infested, bad water damage, filthy inside and full of trash.  Needed a total makeover.  Turns out the house is owned by a rich Bangkokian.  One of those very busy sorts and he had not been to Pattaya and checked on the home in several years.  Apparently had no idea it had so badly deteriorated until his agent sent him photos.  Likely more of those than you'd think.  

We ended up buying a fixer-up property that had sat empty for many years.  One of our neighbors told us that the weeds and undergrowth got so bad that the project paid a few times to have it cleared as a hazard before someone involved with the property arranged for periodic grounds maintenance.  

On 10/6/2021 at 11:45 AM, LarrySR said:

Isn't their a community homeowners association with by-laws that collect fees and performs maintenance on the common property? 

Should be a rule about maintaining ones property and if they don't, the association has it done and invoices the homeowner, then attaches a high interest rate on unpaid fees to compel compliance.

Good points, this is not an easy situation and there's no point in spending community funds and billing an owner who will never pay the bill and has possibly moved on to other activities etc., and will never even see the bill.

• Like 1

There's also another strage phenomen around here (Bang Yai), there is a wealthy contractor who buys a house in every MooBaan gated village around here just to use a show model, They load the house with every amenity and use it as a selling point. I noticed some nice features and had the GF call the number on the gate and she was told this was simply a show home and we were welcome to arrange a tour to pick the stuff we wanted for our own house. Very weird. Looks great from the outside but empty too.....some Thais are doing very well apparently