AstraZeneca Approves Thailand’s Vaccine Factory

webfact

20 minutes ago, d2b2 said:

Curiously the Thai FDA does not seem interested in approving any vaccines other than Astra Zenica and Sinovac.

There are no reports about the other, proven effective vaccines (J&J, Moderna,  Phizer, etc) being processed for approval in the Kingdom. Something seems amiss.

The Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University is working on its own a 'home grown' vaccine which, if all goes well, will be available by the end of the year.

With the low rate of infection in the country and the supplies of AZ and Sinovac coming on stream, I don't see that Thailand needs to go chasing around for any more versions.

Personally, I'm not too concerned about the Covid situation. I'm more worried about Dengue. I had it last year. It's nasty and I think there is more risk of catching that virus rather than Covid.

Home grown vaccine

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, d2b2 said:

Putting all our hopes on a new Thai company producing the Astra Zeneca under license and relying on the relatively ineffective Sinovac seems like a recipe for failure, especially when there are a multitude of reliable, effective and proven vaccines available. 

If The Thai FDA would give approval of the proven vaccines, then private hospitals could then purchase and import these vaccines and offer them for sale to those who need or want them as opposed to waiting for a new and inexperienced Thai manufacturer to ramp up production months from now or accept the relatively ineffective (57%) Chinese Sinovac. Instead of options and reliability, we have to accept delay and/or uncertainty.

It seems there are other issues at work to restrict the importation of any other vaccine into Thailand. 

I'll leave Reuters to do the talking. Here's a snippet:

''The 12,396-person trial found the CoronaVac vaccine was 100% effective in preventing COVID-19 sufferers from being hospitalized or dying and 83.7% effective in avoiding cases that required any medical treatment''.

A vaccine that is 100% effective against hospitalization or death will suit me nicely. Bring it on.

Sinovac says COVID-19 vaccine effective in preventing hospitalization, death

• Like 1

3 hours ago, d2b2 said:

Curiously the Thai FDA does not seem interested in approving any vaccines other than Astra Zenica and Sinovac.

There are no reports about the other, proven effective vaccines (J&J, Moderna,  Phizer, etc) being processed for approval in the Kingdom. Something seems amiss.

This is an update on the J&J approval process.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/johnson-johnson-seeks-thai-approval-covid-19-vaccine-14094804

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dabhand said:

The Who is expected to approve the use of the J&J vaccine any day now, I am guessing Thailand is waiting for that before they then go ahead and approve?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

Personally, I do take many other vax, to boost my immune system and to prevent co-infection, but will wait for the next year for a not-thai made covid vax. Too risky

You're going to be waiting until next year anyway unless you go to Europe, the US or Russia.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Good news, but how long after delivery of raw materials will the plant be actually producing certified vaccine?

It's possible that by the time they actually start and then ramp-up production everyone will have either been vaccinated via other routes or had covid.

Or are we all expected to wait ...

Agree it will be awhile before vaccines start to flow from this facility but the fact Thailand has a pharmaceutical factory meeting AZ's presumably stringent standards is good news in itself.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 2

for dengue is denvaxia - for those living in tropics for minimum 9 years or those after illness.  Private hospitals have them for 3000b per shot, need 3 within a year.

It's easier to protect from infected mosquito than from sars-2 virus

Edited by onthedarkside
unsourced/unsubstantiated comment removed

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

''The 12,396-person trial found the CoronaVac vaccine was 100% effective in preventing COVID-19 sufferers from being hospitalized or dying and 83.7% effective in avoiding cases that required any medical treatment''.

A vaccine that is 100% effective against hospitalization or death will suit me nicely. Bring it on.

Sinovac says COVID-19 vaccine effective in preventing hospitalization, death

but only 50.65% effective at keeping people from getting infected, according to a statement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

but only 50.65% effective at keeping people from getting infected, according to a statement.

Thank you for pointing that out. I did read the article and like I said: ''A vaccine that is 100% effective against hospitalization or death will suit me nicely''.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Thank you for pointing that out. I did read the article and like I said: ''A vaccine that is 100% effective against hospitalization or death will suit me nicely''.

I will be waiting for the Johnson and Johnson vaccine the research suggest its 100% effective against hospitalisation and death, plus...... 

In the J&J trial, the placebo group had 16 hospitalizations and seven deaths from COVID-19, whereas the vaccine group had none, which means the vaccine provided 100 percent efficacy against hospitalizations and deaths.

The vaccine was found to be 74 percent effective against asymptomatic infection, similar to its protection against symptomatic infections.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2021/03/420071/how-effective-johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-heres-what-you-should-know

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:
12 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I will be waiting for the Johnson and Johnson vaccine the research suggest its 100% effective against hospitalisation and death, plus...... 

In the J&J trial, the placebo group had 16 hospitalizations and seven deaths from COVID-19, whereas the vaccine group had none, which means the vaccine provided 100 percent efficacy against hospitalizations and deaths.

The vaccine was found to be 74 percent effective against asymptomatic infection, similar to its protection against symptomatic infections.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2021/03/420071/how-effective-johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-heres-what-you-should-know

Each to his own. I'm quite comfortable with what's on offer.

Stay safe.

• Like 2