And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

Galong

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Been there once, flew down on the friday with flight booked to come back on the Monday.....I flew home on Sunday morning instead.

Horrid place.

I wish more people would do the same.

Yet, more and more are coming. 😞 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Phuket has just become so over developed. It's no longer some idylic island type paradise. 

The constant development is outrageous and just wrong, especially when the whole point of the place is the mass tourism it brings. It's been wrecked. 

It's basically now turning into a metropolis city with a beach. And with the leaders keen on pushing even more and more cheap mass tourism to the island i am seeing more and more moving. It's soul destroying in the evenings trying to get somewhere. 

Same with other areas of Thailand. Same old mass tourism being pushed. 

Most of my mates this year usually come to Thailand for their winter breaks, but all heading to the Caribbean, eg Barbados, Aruba, type islands. Every single one of them could not deal with the mass tourism they faced. There was simply no need to open up to literally the world without any limits. 

I doubt anyone in Thailand cares or has any long term vision - they only barometer that is looked upon is the number of visitors, not the quality of tourist spend. So you end up turning away 'quality tourists' and then you commence talk of the ecological damage that mass tourism brings. 

That's why I live in a sleepy city in NE Thailand, most beach destinations are within 8 hours or less, door to door 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

What happened to the tourism reset after covid that we were promised? 

I spent a few days in Phuket and it was literally one of the worst places i ever visited in Thailand. They're ruined it, so congrats to them. It's just awful. It has become a Bali, over tourism has destroyed it. Once the complaints and disatistifaction kick in, they big tour companies will avoid it - just like they do with Bali. 

Then what happens is you get more and more cheap tourists from China  (on zero dollar tours), and India. They will come in numbers but won't have the spend. We've already seen reports that revenue is down, despite visitor numbers through the roof. 

• Confused 1

More than 20 years ago I vowed to NEVER disgrace Pukhet again with my presence based on the transport  mafia, and what I experienced as wthinly veiled hostility from tourism industry workers compared to any other area of Thailand. Well I went back on a non stop flight from Qatar right when the sandbox opened. When it was more than slow to relax 14 nights in a near brand new Patong hotel. 

My opinion has matured> A big island with a lot to offer. Traffic?  I think it would be completely different living there in a quiet area retired with your own car,  compared to visiting.